Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   How Can I Connect Two Receivers? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/4090-how-can-i-connect-two-receivers.html)

ArkansasTexan 09-23-2009 09:55 PM

How Can I Connect Two Receivers?

When surround sound first came out I bought a Yamaha HTR-5540 5.1 receiver after being promised by the salesperson that I could use a pre-amp and Aux Input for my turntable. I had put off buying into the surround sound concept due to the lack of a phono inputs on the systems at that time. My vinyl isn't going anywhere and I have no desire to transfer my albums and 12" club mixes to CD. Long story short, the pre-amp did not work no matter what I didn't to ground it....that annoying buzz/hum was there to stay and I wasn't going to pay upward of $100 plus to find one that would work. Later I decided I would build a modest but acceptable system strictly for the purpose of enjoying my vinyl and bought an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver with a phono input and a pair of Advent Heritage tower Loudspeakers.

My situation has changed now a few years down the road and I have recently bought a Samsung 32" flat panel but in order to take full advantage of the best possible audio and video quality I need to upgrade my receiver and have decided on the new Onkyo NR-807 so I will have all the possible inputs/outputs I might need including networking. It is going to be a couple of months before I can afford the new NR-807 so with that said here is my question. Can I connect the Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver with phono input and ground wire together with my Yamaha HTR-5540 and use my Advent Loudspeaker as the front left and right for the 5.1 and share them with the Onkyo TX-8511 on the A channel? Is this even a possibility to connect the two receivers and what am I getting myself into in doing so? I have no clue which inputs/outputs I would use for this type of connection even if it is possible! This would be a temporary situation until I buy the new Onkyo NR-807. Hopefully I have given you all the specifics you need and given you a clear picture of my situation, if not let me know.

I would really appreciate any input and guidance anyone might be able to provide on this subject!

Cheers!

rbinck 09-24-2009 05:12 AM

Re: How Can I Connect Two Receivers?

You would need to get a stereo speaker switch. You can't connect the speaker outputs of 2 receivers together. Alternately, if the new receiver has a set of preamp output jacks, the left and right front channels could be an aux input on the old receiver which drives the front speakers.

Or you could use the tape outputs on the old receiver as an aux input on your new receiver and don't hook up any speakers to your old receiver. Set the volume to minimum on the old receiver. That's probably your best bet.

ArkansasTexan 09-24-2009 09:33 AM

Re: How Can I Connect Two Receivers?

That makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for your quick reply! Using the tape outputs on the old receiver sounds good. I will give it a go and see how that works.

Thanks Again!