Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 08-04-2007   #1

Default opinions please.

any one have an opinion on which AVR i should purchase?
deciding between the new Onkyo 905 and the new Denon 4308ci.
mostly intersted in opinions around sound characteristics of each.
i have the specs. on each if anyone would like to see them for a comparison let me know and i'll gladly post them.
BTW, my equipment is Klipsch SynergyIII F-3's, 60"XBR2
Strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #2

Default Re: opinions please.

Onkyo make a nice receiver, but for my tase and money, I prefer the Denon's. They have a smoother sound to them. I haven't heard the 4308 yet, but until recently was using the 4306 in my bedroom and loved it. The addition of HDMI 1.3 and the new surround formats should put the 4308 off the charts.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #3

While I would normally agree with Ken about Denon sounding better, the new Onkyo 805 that I'm currently reviewing must not be over looked. For $999.00 it beats anything out there in both sound quality and features. Now, new Denon receivers are coming towards the end of the year and they'll undoubtedly be good and be packed with some impressive features to boot, but after spending some time with the Onkyo 805 I have to say Denon has some serious competition now. I'll say more in my upcoming review.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #4

I would also put the Marantz SR8001 I am reviewing in the mix... Street price seems to be ~$1200 and the thing is really nice sonically and feature packed. It even comes with a great rcool looking remote!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Onkyo make a nice receiver, but for my tase and money, I prefer the Denon's. They have a smoother sound to them. I haven't heard the 4308 yet, but until recently was using the 4306 in my bedroom and loved it. The addition of HDMI 1.3 and the new surround formats should put the 4308 off the charts.

thats interesting because i too have always been told that denon's had a warm sound characteristic. where as the onkyo's have been discribed to me as bright. but the specs on the onkyo 905 look awesome. they have the reon video processing chip, torordial(spelling) transformer, and a newer BB DAC's.
whereas the 4308 has a faroudja video chip, and an older BB DAC.
parts of me really want the onkyo but i dont want to mate a bright AVR with a horn loaded Klipsch speaker. my current denon avr683 though very old does sound pretty good with my klipsch. i have no way to audition the onkyo before purchasing.
Old 08-04-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Now, new Denon receivers are coming towards the end of the year and they'll undoubtedly be good and be packed with some impressive features to boot,
the onkyo 805,875 and 905 are being recieved by some who preordered however onkyo seems to be having trouble keeping up with the demand.

the denon 3808ci and 4308ci are also making it to the hands of people who preordered. but the 5808ci hasnt shipped yet.

i'll be waiting on that onkyo review and would love to see a denon/onkyo shootout.
Sponsored Links

Tags
4306, 4308, 5808ci, 805, 905, avr, avr683, bright, denon, information, onkyo, price, spec