Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   opinions please. (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/390-opinions-please.html)

Strutter 08-04-2007 06:33 AM

opinions please.

any one have an opinion on which AVR i should purchase?
deciding between the new Onkyo 905 and the new Denon 4308ci.
mostly intersted in opinions around sound characteristics of each.
i have the specs. on each if anyone would like to see them for a comparison let me know and i'll gladly post them.
BTW, my equipment is Klipsch SynergyIII F-3's, 60"XBR2

kennyt 08-04-2007 07:31 AM

Re: opinions please.

Onkyo make a nice receiver, but for my tase and money, I prefer the Denon's. They have a smoother sound to them. I haven't heard the 4308 yet, but until recently was using the 4306 in my bedroom and loved it. The addition of HDMI 1.3 and the new surround formats should put the 4308 off the charts.

Robinson_A 08-04-2007 09:07 AM

While I would normally agree with Ken about Denon sounding better, the new Onkyo 805 that I'm currently reviewing must not be over looked. For $999.00 it beats anything out there in both sound quality and features. Now, new Denon receivers are coming towards the end of the year and they'll undoubtedly be good and be packed with some impressive features to boot, but after spending some time with the Onkyo 805 I have to say Denon has some serious competition now. I'll say more in my upcoming review.

kennyt 08-04-2007 10:02 AM

I would also put the Marantz SR8001 I am reviewing in the mix... Street price seems to be ~$1200 and the thing is really nice sonically and feature packed. It even comes with a great rcool looking remote!

Strutter 08-04-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 1637)
Onkyo make a nice receiver, but for my tase and money, I prefer the Denon's. They have a smoother sound to them. I haven't heard the 4308 yet, but until recently was using the 4306 in my bedroom and loved it. The addition of HDMI 1.3 and the new surround formats should put the 4308 off the charts.

thats interesting because i too have always been told that denon's had a warm sound characteristic. where as the onkyo's have been discribed to me as bright. but the specs on the onkyo 905 look awesome. they have the reon video processing chip, torordial(spelling) transformer, and a newer BB DAC's.
whereas the 4308 has a faroudja video chip, and an older BB DAC.
parts of me really want the onkyo but i dont want to mate a bright AVR with a horn loaded Klipsch speaker. my current denon avr683 though very old does sound pretty good with my klipsch. i have no way to audition the onkyo before purchasing.

Strutter 08-04-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robinson_A (Post 1643)
Now, new Denon receivers are coming towards the end of the year and they'll undoubtedly be good and be packed with some impressive features to boot,

the onkyo 805,875 and 905 are being recieved by some who preordered however onkyo seems to be having trouble keeping up with the demand.

the denon 3808ci and 4308ci are also making it to the hands of people who preordered. but the 5808ci hasnt shipped yet.

i'll be waiting on that onkyo review and would love to see a denon/onkyo shootout.