Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   New Receiver not decoding via HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/3651-new-receiver-not-decoding-via-hdmi.html)

sdjones 06-20-2009 03:09 PM

New Receiver not decoding via HDMI

Hey all,

I've been lurking and learning on the forums for a while, and now I have a problem.

After spending many hours on the forums, I decided to purchase a Yamaha HTR-6250 receiver, it's identical to the RX-V565.

The problem I have is that it will not "see" anything in the signal from HDMI except 2 channel audio. If I check the signal info for any HDMI input, it always ways 2 channel 48k sampling.

I have a Samsung BD-P1600, Dish HD DVR, and Xbox 360 all connected via HDMI. I've tried them all, BD disc, HD-DVD disc, and HD content on dish. The signal info is always the same, 2 channel, 48k sampling.

While troubleshooting, I connected the BD player via fiber and magically the receiver is showing 5 channel 96k sampling. I assume the same would be true for the Xbox and the Dish DVR if I connected them with fiber as well.

So, my question is...What's going on? Could it be my HDMI cables?

Thanks,
Scott

Loves2Watch 06-21-2009 04:12 PM

Re: New Receiver not decoding via HDMI

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdjones (Post 21390)
Hey all,

I've been lurking and learning on the forums for a while, and now I have a problem.

After spending many hours on the forums, I decided to purchase a Yamaha HTR-6250 receiver, it's identical to the RX-V565.

The problem I have is that it will not "see" anything in the signal from HDMI except 2 channel audio. If I check the signal info for any HDMI input, it always ways 2 channel 48k sampling.

I have a Samsung BD-P1600, Dish HD DVR, and Xbox 360 all connected via HDMI. I've tried them all, BD disc, HD-DVD disc, and HD content on dish. The signal info is always the same, 2 channel, 48k sampling.

While troubleshooting, I connected the BD player via fiber and magically the receiver is showing 5 channel 96k sampling. I assume the same would be true for the Xbox and the Dish DVR if I connected them with fiber as well.

So, my question is...What's going on? Could it be my HDMI cables?

Thanks,
Scott

No it is not your cables. I would think that your 1600 needs a firmware update from Samsung. Contact them about this issue.

sdjones 06-21-2009 05:30 PM

According to Samsung, it is on the latest firmware.

Besides, the same happens on any HDMI input. I got the same info on an HD-DVD movie playing on the Xbox.

Thanks,
Scott

Loves2Watch 06-22-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdjones (Post 21402)
According to Samsung, it is on the latest firmware.

Besides, the same happens on any HDMI input. I got the same info on an HD-DVD movie playing on the Xbox.

Thanks,
Scott

If that's the case then the receiver requires a firmware update. Contact Yamaha and explain the problem to them.

sdjones 06-22-2009 05:44 PM

Ahh...if only Yamaha would answer my email. I think I'm just going to send it back and replace it with the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K.

I'll lose the upconvert and HDMI passthrough (not that important) and an HDMI connection, but I think the Pioneer might be a better receiver.

Scott

Loves2Watch 06-23-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdjones (Post 21415)
Ahh...if only Yamaha would answer my email. I think I'm just going to send it back and replace it with the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K.

I'll lose the upconvert and HDMI passthrough (not that important) and an HDMI connection, but I think the Pioneer might be a better receiver.

Scott

Unless it is a Pioneer Elite it is not a better receiver. I would recommend that you look at Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo and Marantz.