Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 06-23-2009   #7

Default Re: New Receiver not decoding via HDMI

I'm open for suggestions on specific models. I just need to stay in the $350 range.

Thanks,
Scott
sdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #8

Take a look at this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #9

the receiver must be hdmi 1.3a certified to get the audio you're trying to get.

just because it has hdmi upconversion doesn't mean it can handle all of the audio requirements.

my recommendation would be (and this may get some laughs) an onkyo home theater in a box. reason being for this is onkyo has a lot of mid range receivers that are 1.3a certified, and they overpower their receivers that come in a packaged set. maybe just sell the speakers to offset the price even more. you want to find a high powered receiver with a total harmonic distortion (listed as THO) less than 1%.

a receiver with hdmi passthrough will do just that, pass through any information and allow for switching.

a receiver with hdmi upconversion will take any video source, encode it and transfer it to hdmi output, but won't give you all the capabilities of hdmi.

a 1.3a certified receiver will include both of the previous functions, fully process the audio, and in some cases, allow for the controlling of the devices through each other. for example, when i turn on my old bluray player, it would turn on my tv and set it to the right input automatically.

hope this helps.

the previous post shows a good receiver, but at 90 watts per channel.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...e-BLACK/1.html

that htib has 130 watts per channel, so when you turn it up you won't hear as much of a hiss in the speakers. it'll run $549 instead of $280, but you've got 7 speakers and a subwoofer that you can sell to help.

Last edited by kunst77; 06-28-2009 at 11:57 AM..
kunst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #10

Thanks for the info.

The place I bought the Yamaha from is replacing it with a new one. After I explained the decoding issues, Xbox complaing about an HDCP compliant link, and sync issues; they decided that there was something wrong and are replacing it.

Should have the new one next week.

Thanks again,
Scott
sdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjones View Post
Thanks for the info.

The place I bought the Yamaha from is replacing it with a new one. After I explained the decoding issues, Xbox complaing about an HDCP compliant link, and sync issues; they decided that there was something wrong and are replacing it.

Should have the new one next week.

Thanks again,
Scott
I hope that resolves the issues for you, good luck...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #12

yeah, let us know what happens.

if it is still not hdmi 1.3a certified i would expect the same issues.
kunst77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2009, audio, cheap, decode, dish, dts, elite, forum, hdmi, pass, pioneer, receiver, receivers, showing, vsx919ahk