Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 06-02-2009   #1

Default Onkyo-TX SR-800 Rcvr.,old Polk spkrs.Which should I upgrade 1st?

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but didn't know where else to post it. (Hope I'm not stepping on toes here.)

I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 recvr. which does a great job at everything it's supposed to do, though it was built right before HDMI became available in receivers (which,if my rcvr. had them, would make things so much easier as far as connections. Now it's optical cables,etc. for sound though I'm able use HDMI directly from my HD-DVR as well as my DVD player to my TV).

I also have older speakers. All Polks except for my subwoofer which is an SVS.

My speakers;
Polk RT-55i's in front,a CS-400i center,FX500i surrounds (along with a pair of RT-35's in storage) and a CS-245i as my rear surround.
My sub. is an SVS PB12-NSD (my only new speaker)

Everything's hooked up to my Sony KDL-40XBR2 LCD TV.

The speakers still sound great to me, but then again, I haven't heard anything else for about 6-7 yrs now. I've only heard "new" speakers in shops and am not sure what an improvement they'd be over my current speakers in my house (it's hard to imagine what the improvement would be from store to house.)

So,my question is this. What should upgrade first ?The speakers or the receiver?

Currently, my funds allow me to upgrade one or the other, but not both.

My system is used almost exclusively for movie watching, Be it DVD, Netflix, TV, etc.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brentski
brentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Onkyo-TX SR-800 Rcvr.,old Polk spkrs.Which should I upgrade 1st?

The most important component in an audio system is the speakers. Problem is picking them. There are more variations with speakers as far as sound reproduction goes than receivers, so selecting a receiver would be an easier task, imo. If it were me I would start with the speakers, but take you time to be sure you are indeed improving the system over your current setup.

Some home theater dealers will allow you to audition speakers in your home. They usually get a bit more for this service though.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
11, 2009, 800, difference, onkyo, polk, receiver, rt, rta, speakers, sr, sr800, tx, tx800, upgrade