Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   hELP WITH THD % IN RECEIVERS (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/2978-help-thd-receivers.html)

RRF743 01-05-2009 02:26 PM

hELP WITH THD % IN RECEIVERS

I currently own a Yamaha HTR-5790 and ready to purchase a new receiver with DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD for my LG BH100 Hi-def player. My current rec. has a THD of 0.04% but I'm not using the wattage. I have an Outlaw 200w x 7 amp powering my stystem. Ive been looking at Onkyo and Yammy and noticed the Onkyo has a higher THD(0.08%)than Yammy(0.04 - 0.06%). Do you think the difference in THD is going to matter since I'm not using the receiver's amps? I've been very happy with the sound and extensive tweek adjustments of Yammy. Also, my price range is between $400 and $800. Any advice would be appreciated.

gstarr 01-06-2009 01:51 PM

Re: hELP WITH THD % IN RECEIVERS

The THD of almost all receivers is far lower then the distortion from any speaker.

Your biggest inconvenience is the lack of HDMI

xorbitman 01-06-2009 07:28 PM

Have a look at the new Pioneer Elite VSX-01THX...it's chock full of features and capability that will suprise you! And it's way better than any of the receivers that you are considering at a price that is incredible. I paid under $700 Can for mine two weeks ago...I guess your looking at the Onkyo 606 or the new Yamaha line...you did not mention which models you were looking at. If you live in the USA...you're in luck, there are several Internet resellers offering this fine product for around 5 - 6 hundred ponies...right near the bottom of your range...Depending on your speakers, you may not even need your Outlaw amp and may decide to give it to a friend, use in a second room or sell it. This receiver has the most advanced MCAA auto calibration system on the market...it can even be fine tuned by a PC and Pioneer's free software and then sent back to the receiver's internal memory! The MCAA also has a built in multi-band EQ, phase compensation and other fantastic features....the benefits of using their internal amp far outweigh the use of an external amp...BTW this is my second Pioneer Elite! I have an older model that I use strictly as a pre-amp for my main Home Theater. I have three seperate amps...including one that I use to Bi Amp the mono cente! I also have a 1500 watt sub! The fit and finish (Black Urushi) is stunning and the remote is also quite attractive and also full featured too.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers!

gstarr 01-07-2009 06:44 AM

In the mid hi-fi range of A/V receivers it is hard to beat the Onkyo TX SR806 THX Ultra 2 . If you "google" on line you could find it from $599-$650 at credible internet dealers. It has almost every featureset one could want with copious power.

Since you have an Outlaw amplifier you might consider the soon to be released Emotiva UMC-1 audio video processor. It will be released at $699 and looks like one beautiful and well-made component. One buys directly from Emotiva.com.

Greg

RRF743 01-07-2009 11:31 AM

Thanks gstarr and xorbitman. I will look into those receivers.