Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   picking a new receiver (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/2947-picking-new-receiver.html)

profchaos71 12-16-2008 03:50 PM

picking a new receiver

Just bought a set of Lascala speakers with the AL-3 crossovers.Can anyone offer some advice on which receiver i should buy this spring.I'm looking for something for around 1000.00 that has HDMI audio capability,5.1 surround,and is considered very warm and musical.I know seperates would be best but i guess i dont know much about how they hook up and work so i tend to go the all in one route.Any advice would really help.

deacongreg 12-16-2008 05:07 PM

Re: picking a new receiver

Quote:

Originally Posted by profchaos71 (Post 19168)
Just bought a set of Lascala speakers with the AL-3 crossovers.Can anyone offer some advice on which receiver i should buy this spring.I'm looking for something for around 1000.00 that has HDMI audio capability,5.1 surround,and is considered very warm and musical.I know seperates would be best but i guess i dont know much about how they hook up and work so i tend to go the all in one route.Any advice would really help.

The Onkyo TX-SR706B is an excellent receiver. 100 Watts per channel times 7. 4 HDMI inputs, 1 output. All the current codecs and necessary connections. Price is $799.99. Of course, this may vary depending on where you live. No need to spend anymore money unless you want more power.

gbeenie 12-18-2008 03:25 PM

Currently, amazon.com has the TX-SR806, which is the model just a smidge above the 706, for a little over $600.

profchaos71 12-18-2008 05:18 PM

Well,actually i was thinking Marantz 7002.possibly 6003 due to cost.Everything i have heard say's Marantz sound is superior to onkyo,denon,or any of the other best buy available brands.What is your opinion??

Flying Dog 1 12-18-2008 06:41 PM

Denon and Marantz are roughly the same and many parts for both receivers come from the same factory "D and M holdings owns and manufactures both brands, however the new line of Denon receivers in my opinion are a step up from the Marantz product. If you are looking for top notch audio performance you may want to check out Cary Audio, Meridian or Arcam. If you are wanting to stay arround the $1,000.00 price point then you should check out the Denon AVR-2808CI. This is a solid performer with lots of cool features

gstarr 12-19-2008 08:39 AM

There is little doubt that one gets more bang for the buck with the current slate of Onkyo receivers. They definitely beat all comers at their various price points, in both power and features. They may run a little hot, but that should be no problem as long as you give the receivers "room to breath".

Greg