Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-05-2008   #7

Default Re: New Member Here With Another Upgrade Question

Well, after 40+ hours of reading and researching I think I'm down to a couple of options: HK AVR-354 or the Onkyo TX-SR606. I forgot my custom in-wall cabinet is only 16 inches deep which means I'm limited to a 15" depth receiver (the depth of my current Pioneer amp). I've discovered that limitation takes many newer units out of consideration. Now I'll take the next few days to decide whether the HK is worth $200 more than the 606 unless I run across other units less than 15" depth.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.
bigdawginva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #8

Hi Bob. I'm not able to address your question but have one for you related to your VSA-1000 if you don't mind.

I'm still in (USAF), stationed in Europe, and the users manual for my VSA-1000 went missing in the last PCS. Was wondering if you could look up what the ambient power usage is for the thing (what it uses when turned off). Electricity is so darn expensive over here I'm trying to make a judgement whether to leave it plugged in all the time or not. Thanks.

Ron
rf09012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #9

Hey Ron, on the specfications page 33, Power consumption, U.S. Model 300w, Other destination models 800w, In standby condition 3w. I think you can leave it plugged. BTW, I bought my VSA-1000 at Ramstein AB AAFES Exchange in 1989 after the movers destroyed my previous Pioneer receiver I bought in Iceland in 1982. I retired in 1994.
Old 12-08-2008   #10

Hi Bob, thanks much. Yeah, think I can afford 3W!

Ramstein has changed a lot (that's where I'm stationed). We've really enjoyed the assignment so far and have visted some wonderfully exotic places in our free time. The Christmas markets are in full season presently.

Ron
rf09012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #11

I decided on the HK754, JBL L Series speakers (L820s, L810s, LC2 and L8400P sub) and Harmony One remote. As I previously stated my custom in-wall entertainment center limited me to bookshelf speakers and a receiver no more than 15" deep. After getting everything for less than $2,000 shipped I felt this was a good price to performance ratio. This was a lot more than I planned to spend but my original plan didn't include speakers and the Harmony One. This will be the last HT system I will own, based on the fact my current system has lasted 20 years and I don't see me buying one when I'm 70, so I believe I have one I can enjoy until it's time for me to move to the assisted living home.

Last edited by bigdawginva; 12-18-2008 at 03:37 AM..
Sponsored Links

Tags
1000, 1018, 303, amp, amplifier, calabration, emotiva, f445, gr777, model, pddm802, pdp4350, pioneer, reverberation, review, vsa