Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 09-17-2008   #7
wes

Default Re: Best AV Receiver for Music

Scotty

If you absolutely want a receiver go to Marantz that is the most musical of all.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
It all depends how much you want to spend here are three options, but first forget AV receivers and go with separate.

Option one: Bang for the buck: EMOTIVA www.emotiva.com
Emotiva UMC-1 Audio/Video Processor price: $699
Emotiva XPA-3, 3 Channel Amplifier ($649)
Emotiva XPA-2, 2 Channel Amplifier ($799)
I was wondering if anyone has tested any "Emotiva" products and if so how do they sound??? I've seen the advertising on this forum, but have yet to hear of anyone giving an experienced opinion.
J.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #9

I have different opinions about receivers and don't like any that have been mentioned, however I have not heard them all. My area of expertiese is in getting digital sound from a computer to sound it's best when played through an external DAC and into your stereo. Long story short, at least try a Trends Audio UD-10.1 converter to take the digital signal from the USB out (or other) and convert it to a high quality digital coax or optical cable then into your DAC. Do this using the optional battery pack to power the Trend unit. It improves air, space, and realism immeasurable. Without the battery pack, the USB power is used and it doesn't help that much. They give 2300mA rechargable AAA batteries, but I find a seprate charger and some 2700 - 2850 AAA ones do a much better job. A great product for under $200. The cable choice is yours but a Kimber USB cable and a pretty good Audioquest digital cable at a minimum will really pay off.
Good luck
tc4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #10
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4all View Post
I have different opinions about receivers and don't like any that have been mentioned, however I have not heard them all. My area of expertiese is in getting digital sound from a computer to sound it's best when played through an external DAC and into your stereo. Long story short, at least try a Trends Audio UD-10.1 converter to take the digital signal from the USB out (or other) and convert it to a high quality digital coax or optical cable then into your DAC. Do this using the optional battery pack to power the Trend unit. It improves air, space, and realism immeasurable. Without the battery pack, the USB power is used and it doesn't help that much. They give 2300mA rechargable AAA batteries, but I find a seprate charger and some 2700 - 2850 AAA ones do a much better job. A great product for under $200. The cable choice is yours but a Kimber USB cable and a pretty good Audioquest digital cable at a minimum will really pay off.
Good luck
You still need a Pre/Pro? I use mi iPod with Apple loosless files and the source is as good as any CD out there but I still need a pre/pro
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #11

Scotty,

I have to agree with wes, Marantz for music is the way to go.

However many of the features you mention are just not on the Marantz units. They tend to make much simpler units that concentrate on the amplification. Even the newer units with HDMI are kind of basic compared to the competition. From what you are describing it sounds like some of the Denon units would fill your needs better.
DMD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
It all depends how much you want to spend here are three options, but first forget AV receivers and go with separate.
Wes, I don't fault your thinking, but things aren't always so straightforward. My 2-channel system is made up of separates and I wouldn't change a thing, but my TV room, definitely not a home theater in any sense, is very cramped for space. It is configured poorly, with windows on 3 walls and no wall on the other side (the missing wall, a soft floor and big couch attempt to balance the dominating surface reflectivity). The only place to put the electronics for a system is in a small corner cabinet. I have lots of problem with setup (for example, L&R speakers are too close together, or they block windows).

What I really can't imagine fitting in is separates. I have a Denon rcvr (old 5.1 DD/DTS). If I go to HD, I'm stuck at 37" unless I use the small bezel models from Mitsibishi or Toshiba, which would allow 40". Good thing I don't have bezel envy!

As in the original post above, I'd like to network to my PC, where I have lossless files for part of my CD collection. I'd transfer them all if I could get them to my 2-channel system effectively and inexpensively.

If I get a new rcvr (or whatever) I'd like to minimize the rats nest of cables, which HDMI could do. I see separates as adding to that problem (I have the cables for separates, but the current cables barely fit behind my receiver).

I do see Marantz as a bit behind with networking. Denon and Yamaha are options. However, I am concerned about Yamaha sound (not heard any I like, though I'm out of date and haven't heard the latest) and also with the mixed reviews of the Denons (the remote, the menus, the price...). Which leaves me where? Buying separates with no HDMI, few HDMI inputs and/or the inability to up-convert analog composite or S-video to HDMI at full resolution; this is about what I can afford, and purchasing such a setup seems pointless.

There was a time when picking up "out of date" audio equipment was a smart investment, but I don't think this is holding true with HT and all of the changes in digital signals and processing.

So, we little guys need an alternative, because we would like at least an approximation of good sound and pictures.
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, audio, av, movies, music, network, only, r772, receiver, receivers, reviews, sherwoodnewcastle, sounding, streaming, top