Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   A receiver for my low sensitivity speakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/2236-receiver-my-low-sensitivity-speakers.html)

FiguredMaple 07-18-2008 07:30 PM

A receiver for my low sensitivity speakers

I'm trying to decide on an AV receiver that will match well with my low sensitivity speakers.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for selecting an AV receiver's power wattage at 8ohms, by matching the 7.1 speakers and cable I currently have.

I've read a lot and am concerned about the reviews that show that a receiver that is rated at, say, 140WPC really runs at 100WPC when 7 channels are used at 8ohms each. These speakers are rated at 100WPC but because of their low sensitivity, I'm wondering if I should consider a higher wattage.

The room I'm using is 12' x 12' (under 1200 cubic), and is across the hall from the kids' bedrooms.
The system will probably be used around 65db - 80db for the majority of the time (in the evenings), and occasionally at 90-95db, when the kids are watching with us on the weekends.

I'll be installing 7 of the B&W M-1s, and the B&W PV-1 sub.

Here are the specs of the M-1s:

Drive units 1x 25mm (1 in) metal dome high-frequency
1x 100mm (4 in) woven glass fibre cone bass / midrange
Frequency range -6dB at 72Hz and 50kHz
Frequency response 80Hz - 23kHz 3dB on reference axis
Dispersion Within 2dB of reference response
Horizontal: over 60 arc
Vertical: over 10 arc
Sensitivity 85dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
Harmonic distortion 2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m)
<1% 120Hz - 30kHz
<0.5% 250Hz - 22kHz
Nominal impedance 8Ω (minimum 4.8Ω)
Crossover frequency 4kHz
Recommended amplifier power 20W - 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
Max. recommended cable impedance 0.1Ω

Speaker Cable: Supra 15AWG
"Elec. Specifications R 10.5 (Ω/km) L 0.40 (H/m)"

I'd like to be able to run one HDMI from the receiver to my display, while using their own HDMI to connect my current Oppo 1080p DVD player, and soon to be purchased Bluray player, without any added artifacts from the receiver.

I'm also very interested in playing 7.1 soundtracks at lower volumes, so having Audyssey Dynamic Volume or Dolby Volume (is Dolby going to release this?), Audyssey Dynamic EQ (for maintaining resolutions (particularly rear channel) at lower volumes), DTS Master, and Dolby TrueHD are important.

Onkyo and Denon seem to be releasing models with these features.

Thanks in advance!

kennyt 07-19-2008 04:19 AM

Re: A receiver for my low sensitivity speakers

If all you want are 95 db peaks, most any receiver will get you there. As a rule, more power is always better.

FiguredMaple 07-21-2008 07:37 PM

Re: A receiver for my low sensitivity speakers

I bought a Denon 1909 today.

Thanks!