Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 07-07-2008   #7

Default Re: Does any 7.1 AV receiver have selectable rears in 5.1 mode?

SMS, I thought I would let you know of a way to do what you want, but its probably not what you where thinking.
I currently know of no hardware receiver that can remap channels on the dolby decoder. This is probably possible with one or two of them out there, but so far, having control like that can only be achieved with software.
I use a software program called AC3Filter for win32 platform, it lets you adjust all the parameters of the decoding-encoding process to your hearts content, and that includes remapping channels. I really love it for the control it gives me, something you will never find even on $2000+ receivers. Hardware receivers tend to assume the end user is stupid and wants to hide all the control from you.
I use my PC as a media center and pipe the video and audio from it, which allows me to have complete control over audio mapping and filtering and video enhancements. Plus, I love having a PVR that isn't controlled by my cable company.
Sorry to disappoint, but if you find a receiver than can remap decoder channels please let us know, I would love to have that feature.
roadrun777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
51, 71, av, buy, connect, dvd, output, rears, receiver, receivers, sound, sources, speakers, surround, surrounds