Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

View Poll Results: What should be my new AV receiver?
Denon AVR-4308CI 4 23.53%
Marantz SR8002 4 23.53%
Onkyo TX-N905 6 35.29%
Other? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2008   #13

Default Re: Help me pick my new receiver.

I had the 8001 and liked it a lot, a bit dryer than the Denon, but very good musically. The more I think about it, the more I think scaling is a factor for me, if and when I upgrade the plasma in the bedroom, I might want a scaler, and in a small bedroom system, I don't want to add an external scaler if I can avoid it.

This one has been killing me!!!!!

How is it I can drop $10+K on a pre/pro without batting an eye and I can't seem to choose a receiver?????
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I had the 8001 and liked it a lot, a bit dryer than the Denon, but very good musically. The more I think about it, the more I think scaling is a factor for me, if and when I upgrade the plasma in the bedroom, I might want a scaler, and in a small bedroom system, I don't want to add an external scaler if I can avoid it.

This one has been killing me!!!!!

How is it I can drop $10+K on a pre/pro without batting an eye and I can't seem to choose a receiver?????
Because when it comes to receivers there are many more that have the options you want as compared to pre-pro's.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Because when it comes to receivers there are many more that have the options you want as compared to pre-pro's.
That is true, I guess for my main rig it was all about sonics, so I bought the one I wanted and was done. In the receiver market, their are all kinds of issues! I hate to say it I am still no closer to deciding.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
That is true, I guess for my main rig it was all about sonics, so I bought the one I wanted and was done. In the receiver market, their are all kinds of issues! I hate to say it I am still no closer to deciding.
As much gear as you buy you shouldn't have much of a problem getting your dealer to let you take some home to audition.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #17

Thumbs up Re: Help me pick my new receiver.

kenny,

I think you probably do much of your listening on your main rig, so the receiver decision is held back some. But, I would think since you are near finished on your review of the Denon new separates, I`m sure they will let you check out a new receiver from them.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #18

I hate to sound like a broken record but Onkyo/Integra get my vote, especially their higher end offerings. I do like Denon however, the Onkyo/Integra products seem to be the perfect blend between Yamaha (which I love as well) and Denon/Marantz products. Go figure. For sheer musicality as a two channel skewed receiver Marantz gets my vote but for an all rounder I have to go with Onkyo/Integra. I own the Integra DTC 9.8 which is simply a pre/pro but have heard the receiver equivalent and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
3080ci, 4308ci, audio, bluray, denon, hd, macintosh, marantz, onkyo, pick, pioneer, receiver, sound, sr8002, stream, txn905