Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Denon 3838CI Streaming Video (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1960-denon-3838ci-streaming-video.html)

pws442 05-30-2008 09:57 AM

Denon 3838CI Streaming Video

Why not? the 4308ci does it. Is there hardware involved, or could there possibly be a firmware upgrade in the future?

TheMoose 05-30-2008 12:51 PM

Re: Denon 3838CI Streaming Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by pws442 (Post 15249)
Why not? the 4308ci does it. Is there hardware involved, or could there possibly be a firmware upgrade in the future?

The 4308ci is also $1000 more expensive!
I would guess it's a hardware issue.
It wasn't a big deal for me since my PS3 & DirecTV HD-DVR will stream video.

pws442 05-31-2008 05:36 AM

I suppose it is a hardware issue. As to the $1000, well, once you have spent $1500 on the 3808, is it a reverse buyer's remorse syndrome that ONLY another grand would have gotten you video streaming, wireless, HD radio, and the fourth zone?

I do not have satellite service, but I have a dual-tuner HD-DVR from my cable company that I run to the receiver, and then to the TV. Do you run everything to the Denon first, then to the TV? If not, why not?

I wanted to stream movies I have on my NAS (where my music resides) to the Denon. Can you get stuff to your entertainment system that way?

Thanks

TheMoose 05-31-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pws442 (Post 15276)
I suppose it is a hardware issue. As to the $1000, well, once you have spent $1500 on the 3808, is it a reverse buyer's remorse syndrome that ONLY another grand would have gotten you video streaming, wireless, HD radio, and the fourth zone?

I do not have satellite service, but I have a dual-tuner HD-DVR from my cable company that I run to the receiver, and then to the TV. Do you run everything to the Denon first, then to the TV? If not, why not?

I wanted to stream movies I have on my NAS (where my music resides) to the Denon. Can you get stuff to your entertainment system that way?

Thanks

Oh I absolutely had reverse buyers remorse about not going ahead & getting the 4308ci, besides what you mentioned you get better quality amps & a second HDMI output, while I love my 3808ci if I were buying now I wouldn't hesitate to get the 4308ci!
Yes all my video & audio from the Sat box, DVD & Blu-Ray player (PS3) runs to the Denon with HDMI, I removed the speakers from my TV so all audio goes through the Denon.

I'm not sure what a NAS is but Yes I can stream all the media (pictures, music & video) from my computer to the Denon using either the Playstation 3 or the DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR.

pws442 06-01-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 15280)
I'm not sure what a NAS is but Yes I can stream all the media (pictures, music & video) from my computer to the Denon using either the Playstation 3 or the DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR.

Network Area Storage: All my files sit on a box on the network. Nothing except software is on the PCs. I use a Linksys ReadyNAS NV+. Nice investment. 1TB now, can support 64TB in sort-a RAID5 configuration.

It sends me emails when it goes on UPS power. I have TwonkyMedia on it for DLNA of music to the Denon. And it has a print server, so I have one shared printer on it. (it supports 2)

Sorry to see I am not the only one with the reverse buyer's remorse syndrome!

Eggs Ackerly 09-03-2009 11:53 AM

Might not be the right thread but let me start.

On my home netork I have a 1TB NAS that is hooked via ethernet cable to my Denon 3808. All audio was recorded in FLAC. I can play the audio from the NAS on the AVR. What I'm looking for is the answer as to how to get more control over my NAS audio at the Denon. Networked audio uses the "clunky" Denon controls. I have been able to reate playlists using MediaMonkey. Would also like to shuffle.

Grateful for any suggestions.