Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 05-10-2008   #1
anm

Default What use is an old AVR receiver when upgrading to a new one?

Hi,
Besides the option of selling off, or exchange offer or moving it to another room/ setup, is there a place for an AVR in the new setup?

Please see this post for more related queries I have. http://www.avrevforum.com/showthread...4769#post14769

I made the larger post in the speakers section. But I think this question qualifies for a separate post in the receivers section. Hope this is not taken as cross posting the same question in multiple places. Please answer in either place.

thanks and regards
anm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #2

Default Re: What use is an old AVR receiver when upgrading to a new one?

My old equipment get's handed down to relatives.
Being a generation or 2 behind is a big upgrade for people that still use the TV speakers!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #3

Funny you asked, I just gave my son an old yamaha receiver today.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #4
anm

I am one of those who are still on TV speakers, so a lot of you can give me your old receivers/ speakers/ amps / projectors right away :-)

But I hope I will be able to setup something nice at my house soon. Hence the posts and need advice from you guys.

I am curious from an engineering point of view, can we reuse an old AVR as just a 2 channel amp in a new setup?

thanks for your responses!

regards
Old 05-11-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
I am one of those who are still on TV speakers, so a lot of you can give me your old receivers/ speakers/ amps / projectors right away :-)

But I hope I will be able to setup something nice at my house soon. Hence the posts and need advice from you guys.

I am curious from an engineering point of view, can we reuse an old AVR as just a 2 channel amp in a new setup?

thanks for your responses!

regards
Hi Anm,
Welcome to the avrevform. As far as old equipment, the shipping charges would be more than the value of the gear.

I'm sure you can use the front R and L channels and leave the rest of the speaker outputs unused and set the AVR controls to 2 channel.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008   #6
anm

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
Hi Anm,
Welcome to the avrevform. As far as old equipment, the shipping charges would be more than the value of the gear.

I'm sure you can use the front R and L channels and leave the rest of the speaker outputs unused and set the AVR controls to 2 channel.
Thanks i30krab. Well, let me brief on the background. I do not have budget to buy an expensive AVR - so what if I buy a lower end AVR today, and upgrade to a new AVR later? Can I somehow reuse it in the upgraded setup?
so - avrnew's left front and right front via preamp --> old avr's input --> front left/ right speakers.

While avrnew's surround channels --> surround speakers

Has anyone tried this kind of chaining of AVRs?

regards
Sponsored Links

Tags
audiovideo, aura, av, avr, az, buy, connecting, dust, lcd, phoenix, receiver, receivers, setup, shakers, tv