Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 05-08-2008   #1

Question Yamaha RX-V663 Recommendations

A while back I was looking for a new preamp and I was going to go for the Integra later on in the summer. Well, I couldn't wait for it because a deal that I couldn't pass up on came my way - the Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver. I've heard good things about this receiver - I like its feature set and the only draw back is that it only has 2 HDMI inputs but currently I only have 2 HDMI inputs (my Motorola 6416 III, and my BD HTPC - I've retired my HD-DVD to my bedroom system). If I needed more inputs I have a HDMI switch (3x2) anyway. Have any of you had any personal experience with this receiver (any drawbacks, failure rate, flaws ect). That I should be aware of. I have a moneyback gurantee so I'm not worried about that (bought the item new in the box for $350.00). I though about waiting for the Pioneer 1018tx, but I like Yamaha gear alot. Chime in on this for me. I made this upgrade to get ready for the new crop of HDMI 1.3a audio cards thats coming down the bend.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #2

Default Re: Yamaha RX-V663 Recommendations

To get the capability of decoding the new codecs, $350 seems like a really good deal.
I have also always liked the sound of my yamaha receivers slightly more than the pioneers.
If you can cope w/ only 2 HDMI inputs, I don't see why not to buy.

Are you going to use it for your main set-up?
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
To get the capability of decoding the new codecs, $350 seems like a really good deal.
I have also always liked the sound of my yamaha receivers slightly more than the pioneers.
If you can cope w/ only 2 HDMI inputs, I don't see why not to buy.

Are you going to use it for your main set-up?
Yes, I am. It will serve as my new preamp.
Old 05-08-2008   #4

The few things I noticed it did not have was:

No digital outputs
Possibly No HDMI 1080p up-conversion or pass-though

Everything else looks good.

My RX-V1600 will not pass 1080p which is something I wish I would have thought about before I bought it. So, I am having to run HDMI from the PS3 for 1080p video directly to the TV and use fiber out of the PS3 to the RX-V1600 for audio.
Old 05-09-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
The few things I noticed it did not have was:

No digital outputs
Possibly No HDMI 1080p up-conversion or pass-though

Everything else looks good.

My RX-V1600 will not pass 1080p which is something I wish I would have thought about before I bought it. So, I am having to run HDMI from the PS3 for 1080p video directly to the TV and use fiber out of the PS3 to the RX-V1600 for audio.
No 1080p upconversion but I do all of that through my PC and WinDVD 9 Plus BD. It does however offer 1080p passthrough. So I'm good to go, it bitstreams, yada, yada, yada...
Old 05-09-2008   #6

Are you going to use external amps or just what's in the receiver?

I use to have my yamaha RX-V1 set-up with macs before my Halcro arrived, and got a nasty ground hum with the single-ended interconnects. I did some DIY stuff, and greatly reduced the hum, but it was never totally gone. Prior to macs, I never had that problem using an adcom 2535.
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dvd, good, mx830, passthrough, player, preamp, ps3, recommendation, rx, rxv663, setup, upconversion, v663, yamaha