Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 05-09-2008   #7

Cool Re: Yamaha RX-V663 Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Are you going to use external amps or just what's in the receiver?

I use to have my yamaha RX-V1 set-up with macs before my Halcro arrived, and got a nasty ground hum with the single-ended interconnects. I did some DIY stuff, and greatly reduced the hum, but it was never totally gone. Prior to macs, I never had that problem using an adcom 2535.
All external amps - I've benn doing it this way for a while. I have 2 Yamaha MX-830's, a Sony TA-N80ES (subwoofer amp) a DBX BX2 (rear surrounds bridged) and a Yamaha p2100 for side surrounds. No ground hum here.
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #8

Default Re: Yamaha RX-V663 Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
All external amps - I've benn doing it this way for a while. I have 2 Yamaha MX-830's, a Sony TA-N80ES (subwoofer amp) a DBX BX2 (rear surrounds bridged) and a Yamaha p2100 for side surrounds. No ground hum here.
prerich,

you will significantly improve your balance between speakers by using one brand/model amp for all speakers. Each amp, even different amps from the same manufacturer often respond differently to different level input, and as dynbamics change, so will your balance amoung speakers.....

I used to have different amps, then went to similar amps from the same manufacturer then all the same amps and it really does matter.

Just my 0.02.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #9

Wink Re: Yamaha RX-V663 Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
prerich,

you will significantly improve your balance between speakers by using one brand/model amp for all speakers. Each amp, even different amps from the same manufacturer often respond differently to different level input, and as dynbamics change, so will your balance amoung speakers.....

I used to have different amps, then went to similar amps from the same manufacturer then all the same amps and it really does matter.

Just my 0.02.
That's 10-4 there! I've got the same amps across the front (MX-830's). I'm always scouting Ebay for a Yamaha 830 or 640 or 480, don't worry - its in my plan but thanks for looking out. The YPAO equalization in the receiver works pretty good with compensating for balances, but yes my goal is all Yamaha mx or m amplification.
Old 05-09-2008   #10

$350 is a good deal. Seeing how you've determined you're good with the few items that could be limiting factors that we've discussed, if I were you, I'd go ahead and get it.

Also, I think you will hear a bigger difference in your system by using the same brand of speakers all-the-way-around before using the exact same amps all-the-way-around.

So, I would definitely try matching speakers before amps.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008   #11

Quote:
$350 is a good deal. Seeing how you've determined you're good with the few items that could be limiting factors that we've discussed, if I were you, I'd go ahead and get it.

Also, I think you will hear a bigger difference in your system by using the same brand of speakers all-the-way-around before using the exact same amps all-the-way-around.

That would be a hard match. Finding 2 sets of Snell K originals is not that easy (I'm not leaving my Snells up front to go to Def Tech - thats just too nice ) The Def Tech's give me that diffuse patteren in the rear (even though they are Bipoles instead of Dipoles, basiclly you could wire the tweeters out of phase and in effect make them dipoles). I'm very happy and have had several people listen - no complaints. (Even though I live in a small town - I've been told that I possibly have the best sounding system in the city - and definately better than our local theater). After this purcahse I'm set until the summer.
(Work on getting those amps)!
Old 05-09-2008   #12

Quote:

The front speaker stage is identical - and I mean identical. Same brand...same speaker - Snell E-II's one for the L,C, and R.

The rears are all the same brand also - Definitive Technology.

The front subs are identical and so are the rear subs. The sound is pretty even and smooth (believe it or not ) . Once I experienced identical speakers in my front array - thats the only way I roll. If one Snell goes down - they all go down. I bring out my RS-6B's until I can repair them - I have a stock of Snell replacement parts now . The RS-6B's are no joke either. I just love the smooth panning across the front - all at the same height...ect. That's why I don't really care for horizontal oriented center channels.

If I was in the market for new speakers the company had better be ready to supply an odd ball for the center
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dvd, good, mx830, passthrough, player, preamp, ps3, recommendation, rx, rxv663, setup, upconversion, v663, yamaha