Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Can I still get good performance out of my Denon AVR-5300? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1870-can-i-still-get-good-performance-out-my-denon-avr-5300-a.html)

jdpezold 04-24-2008 06:22 AM

Can I still get good performance out of my Denon AVR-5300?

I inherited this model from my home's former owner and I'm about to upgrade my TV to a 73" Mitsubishi. Is this receiver good enough to hold me over until I can buy an AVR-3808CI?

I'm relatively new to all the terms and verbage for home theater, but what kind of picture quality increase should I expect from a newer model receiver?

kennyt 04-24-2008 07:25 AM

Re: Can I still get good performance out of my Denon AVR-5300?

Well, the 5300 was Denon's top of the line unit a few years back, it was a great receiver, that said, the 3808 is a very good receiver as well that has many more features such as all the new audio codecs of Blu-ray and HD DVD and also HDMI switching and I believe it also has video scaling as well.

I am sure the 5300 didn't have HDMI, I doubt it had DVI, and probably didn't have as good a scaler as the 3808, that said, you could easily run you video sources directly to the TV via HDMI and use the 5300 with optical or coaxial digital connections and get excellent DD and DTS sound. Is the receiver goo denough? Hell yes! you just won't have all the modern bells and whistles of the 3808 nor the HDMI switching.

I would get the TV, use the 5300 for now and run all your digital video to the TV and see what you think, you might be fine as is. If you have an HD DVD or Blu-ray player, then you would need the new receiver to utilize the new codecs and get uncompressed multi-channel audio......

jdpezold 04-24-2008 07:32 AM

Ken, is there anything you DON'T know? You're a whirling dervish of knowledge, my friend! Much appreciated.

kennyt 04-24-2008 09:02 AM

I'm pretty weak on European wines, and I have yet to figure out women, but I'm getting better.....

wes 04-24-2008 09:43 AM

That is always the same problems even if things work well new features make them obsolete.

I have an Integra Research RDC-7 and I have been waiting to upgrade it until new processors include HDMi 1.3, all the new codec DD tru HD and DTS Master Audio. I didn't want to upgrade to HDMi 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and now 1.3 I would have been buying 4 new receivers!!!

I am evaluating the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and Classé SSP-800 so I can keep this for an other 10 years

kennyt 04-24-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 14272)
I am evaluating the Denon AVP-A1HDCI and Classé SSP-800 so I can keep this for an other 10 years

I can't wait to get home and swap in the AVP-A1HDCi. It is going to have some tough competition as lately in my main rig I've had the Meridian 861v4 and for a bit now the Anthem Statement D2 w/ARC, so it's got some really big shoes to fill......