Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   DTS-HD Master Audio (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1754-dts-hd-master-audio.html)

Cypher 03-25-2008 06:11 AM

DTS-HD Master Audio

Hello all, new to the forums. Hope someone is able to help me understand where my audio problem is and maybe how to solve.

I am having trouble with audio on some movies, specifically Night at the Museum on Blu-ray. No sound if I choose to route to receiver, but do get sound from ps3 HDMI to TV.

I am using the ps3 for the Blu-ray player, and have digital optical out going to a converter that changes to digital coax since my receiver (Pioneer Elite vsx-99) does not have optical in.

I have the ps3 setup with the optical out and have both DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 checked in settings. Under ps3 BD/DVD settings I have bitstream selected for optical out.

The ps3 came new with firmware 2.0 and I've updated once since.

Other movies, both DVD and Blu-ray play fine and I get surround sound as normal.

I am able to change audio selection on the movie in question to the other language options and get sound.

So, does this just come down to the receiver not being able to handle the DTS-HD Master Audio which is the main audio selection on this movie?

Thanks for any advice.

TheMoose 03-25-2008 10:44 AM

Re: DTS-HD Master Audio

Welcome to the forums! :D

I don't think DTS-HD-MA will pass thru optical, that requires HDMI.

rlpiii 03-25-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 13225)

I have also heard this is true. 1080p can only be passed via HDMI as well. :p

Cypher 03-25-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 13225)

-------------

I am still confused on what is happening with the audio signal here.

So, PS3 out via HDMI into the receiver and then out the receiver via HDMI into TV?

The receiver needs to have both the HDMI ports as well as the ability to understand DTS-HD-MA?

Ack, I didn't realize I was that far behind. Do most people really have receivers that can do this?

rlpiii 03-25-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cypher (Post 13230)
-------------

I am still confused on what is happening with the audio signal here.

So, PS3 out via HDMI into the receiver and then out the receiver via HDMI into TV?

The receiver needs to have both the HDMI ports as well as the ability to understand DTS-HD-MA?

Ack, I didn't realize I was that far behind. Do most people really have receivers that can do this?

Yes and sort of.

Yes: you do need to be using HDMI to hear DTS-HD MA and have a processor or player that decodes DTS-HD MA.

Sort of: some of us have the capability of decoding multi-channel PCM via HDMI. If you have this capability, you need a player that decodes DTS-HD MA internally, and sends it out via PCM.

On most players you can select to output MCPCM to get the HD audio. If you don't have a DTS-HD MA capable processor, it will default to 1.5 Mbps DTS which is still better than DTS audio on standard DVDs.

Cypher 03-25-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 13232)
Yes and sort of.

Yes: you do need to be using HDMI to hear DTS-HD MA and have a processor or player that decodes DTS-HD MA.

Sort of: some of us have the capability of decoding multi-channel PCM via HDMI. If you have this capability, you need a player that decodes DTS-HD MA internally, and sends it out via PCM.

On most players you can select to output MCPCM to get the HD audio. If you don't have a DTS-HD MA capable processor, it will default to 1.5 Mbps DTS which is still better than DTS audio on standard DVDs.

Ok, I think I got it. Since my Pioneer vsx-99 only does DD/AC3 I'm stuck.
Thanks for the help.