Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 02-10-2008   #7

Default Re: Which A/V Receiver??

Setups can be messy... true... but for pure sound quality, I must give the nod to Marantz. I have setup a few Marantz and Sherwood Newcastle units, and whereas I like both, strictly musically speaking the Marantz units are very hard to beat. Even two channel sounds great.

My .02
notbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbigd View Post
Setups can be messy... true... but for pure sound quality, I must give the nod to Marantz. I have setup a few Marantz and Sherwood Newcastle units, and whereas I like both, strictly musically speaking the Marantz units are very hard to beat. Even two channel sounds great.

My .02
I suppose it depends on the units. The high end Newcastle units should sound noticably better than similarly priced Marantz units. That is of course in the right environment. I was at a friend's house when one of the companies i'm tied to was installing a system in his HT. I was there for the "demo," and learning process for my friend (who requested I be there). The Lead Installer had reservations about the Sherwood Newcastle seperates the client had chosen because he thought they sounded "ok," in the other applications where he'd had them used.

When the "Demo," was done the installer was stunned. He became a firm believer in properly designed HT rooms after that. This theater was designed from the ground up and followed the Golden Measurement rule for the theater's dimensions. It was acoustically treated as well.

The same company makes Marantz and Newcastle Receivers. The better parts go into the Newcastle (and higher costing Marantz). So I'd always suggest Newcastle over the similarly priced competition.

Unless an Outlaw Audio model was available and up to date.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #9

Lotus,

You are so right. I`ve been on two installs with a young man that just started his own Home Theater Installation business. He is big on measurements and getting the room right as well. And one other thing, he will only use electronics that are THX certified. After going to their website, I can now see why some feel this is very important.

THX is thorough, and they have certain parameters that must be met. So, at least there are certain things you know up front that can be ruled out. But, we all know not everyone uses this rule of thumb.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1, 2008, 772, anyone, av, cd, forum, infiniteelectronixcom, newcastle, r772, receiver, review, reviews, sherwood, them