Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 02-05-2008   #7

Smile Re: The "Dark" Side of Going All HDMI

Yes, I definitely have to agree with Jerry and kennyt JohnJ. Headphone listening I`m into myself. And since you are a headphone listener already, based on what you said, then why not have some real fun.

Leave the components alone, and invest in a nice pair of high end headphones with a Headroom amplifier. The folks at Headroom are very knowledgeable, and have a solution and headphone system for just about any situation. If you are not familiar with them, go to www.headphone.com/.

Trust me, you`ll be glad you did!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #8
Super Moderator

Default Re: The "Dark" Side of Going All HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
I'd never thought of playing with the two volumes. That would be a workable solution. Now, the question I would ask is this: are channels with 0 output volume still consuming continuous watts of power even though there is no output?
Idle channels of most conventional amplifiers do dissipate power and create heat, but it is not as much power/heat as with the amplifier going "full bore." The "Class A" and "Class AB" transistor output circuit designs have some current flowing through them at all times to get rid of the non-linearity that exists for small amplitude inputs, and for most amplifiers the power supply voltage is fixed. There are are other designs that play games with either the power supply voltage, the idling current or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
Alas, the maddening joy of trying to work through settings! This seems like an interesting solution, but my TV speakers don't seem to be working at all, and I don't know why! Can't find any setting in the TV that says they aren't on, and still can't find a way to get them talking again. It doesn't appear to be the Denon - setting it to run the sound to the TV instead of AMP doesn't make the TV start talking either. Probably another lost evening wandering through the Aquos and Denon manuals......

John
Computers/automation were supposed to make life easier. Most engineers can't figure out how to use computers to do that, and I'm one of them.
Old 02-06-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
Computers/automation were supposed to make life easier. Most engineers can't figure out how to use computers to do that, and I'm one of them.
Wow an Engineer who admits intuitiveness through computers is hard to come by!
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #10

I am adding an Onkyo 605 reciever. While I want to use HDMI to transfer the audio signal to the reciever, I don't want to use it to switch between video signals, unless I have to.

My TV has three HDMI inputs. I have ordered two HDMI splitters. They look like extension cords with two places to plug in HDMI cables. I plan to hook both the reciever and the TV to the output of my Blue Ray and HD DVD players.

If this works I should be able to watch DVDs on the TV and either listen to the TV speakers or use the reciver to access surround sound.

This would also address the issues raised by JohnJ.
wag4513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag4513 View Post
I am adding an Onkyo 605 reciever. While I want to use HDMI to transfer the audio signal to the reciever, I don't want to use it to switch between video signals, unless I have to.

My TV has three HDMI inputs. I have ordered two HDMI splitters. They look like extension cords with two places to plug in HDMI cables. I plan to hook both the reciever and the TV to the output of my Blue Ray and HD DVD players.

If this works I should be able to watch DVDs on the TV and either listen to the TV speakers or use the reciver to access surround sound.

This would also address the issues raised by JohnJ.
I think I remember my tv speakers working when I ran HDMI from the source to the receiver and out to the tv. I don't think you should need HDMI splitters to hear tv speakers. I'll check again this evening.

Maybe JohnJ does not have the volume on when trying to use his tv speakers - obviously if volume is all the down to zero, you will not get any sound either.

Let us know how the splitters work out when you get them installed. I know some of us have had problems with just direct connections of HDMI. It will be interesting to see if you have any problems with HDMI splitters.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag4513 View Post
Why not? You have a competent switcher in the Onkyo, I wonder if the splitter cables you describe won't cause more HDCP issues.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
09, audio, channel, dark, electricity, hd, hdmi, headphones, receiver, side, time, tv, watts, wireless, work