Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Upgrading Receiver (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1485-upgrading-receiver.html)

SpikeRT 01-24-2008 03:54 AM

Upgrading Receiver

Wanting some advice or input on possible receiver purchase.

Currently, I'm using a Denon AVR 2106(100watts/ch). It sounds good, but I would like some more clarity or definition in sound. I have a chance to purchase an Integra DTR 7.7 at a great price($800). This unit is rated at 105watts/ch. Do you think this is a worth wild change or should I be looking at a receiver or amp that has a higher watts/ch., possibly the Integra DTR 7.8 or something.

My front main speakers are Paradigm monitor 7 v.4. Any help or suggestions you could give would be great.

bobb53 01-24-2008 06:07 AM

Re: Upgrading Receiver

take a good loook at Arcam if you are looking for great sounding receivers.

rlpiii 01-24-2008 11:55 AM

I have always preferred Yamaha if you are looking at receivers from $1k to $2k.
I have the RX-V1 and RX-V1600 that I am currently using.
I only wish the RX-V1600 could pass 1080p instead of only 1080i via HDMI.
I was just able to get a really good deal on the RX-V1600 when Tweeters went out of business in DFW.

deacongreg 01-24-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikeRT (Post 9965)
Wanting some advice or input on possible receiver purchase.

Currently, I'm using a Denon AVR 2106(100watts/ch). It sounds good, but I would like some more clarity or definition in sound. I have a chance to purchase an Integra DTR 7.7 at a great price($800). This unit is rated at 105watts/ch. Do you think this is a worth wild change or should I be looking at a receiver or amp that has a higher watts/ch., possibly the Integra DTR 7.8 or something.

My front main speakers are Paradigm monitor 7 v.4. Any help or suggestions you could give would be great.

My suggestion to you is to check the two reviews Andrew Robinson did on the Onkyo TX-SR805, and the Yamaha RX-V861. That should help out greatly. Check avrev.com.

TheMoose 01-24-2008 03:00 PM

Well the good news is, there are a lot of nice receivers to choose from, the bad news is, There are a lot of nice receivers to choose from!

I have the 3808ci Denon & I like it but I have heard good things about the Yamahas too.

Check out this post on the Denon 3808ci, I explain my reasons for choosing it in that thread.

The best thing you can do is to listen to as many of these as you can, take your own music & movies so you can compare them all to content you are familiar with.

kennyt 01-24-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 10001)
The best thing you can do is to listen to as many of these as you can, take your own music & movies so you can compare them all to content you are familiar with.

The best advice any one can ever give!

FWIW I don't think a few more watts are going to be the answer for you. When you step up the lines in receivers, power supplies and DAC's get better, yes power output jumps to, but to be honest the difference between 100 and 115 from the same manufacturer is trivial at best. Moose's post is spot on, you need to take some things you are familiar with and go listen to all the ones you are interested in that meet your needs and buy the one that sounds best to YOU as you are the one who will be living with it!