Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1374-receiver-advice-yamaha-onkyo.html)

tasdisr 01-03-2008 12:27 PM

Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver hooked up to my Toshiba
HD-A1 HDDVD and Sony 50 inch SXRD rear projection tv. My speakers
consist of the following:

Front speakers - Polk RTi6
Center Polk CSi3
Subwoofer Polk SW404
Rear Surround Home Theater Direct Middy's

I am considering upgrading my receiver to either a Yamaha RX-v861 or a Onkyo
TX-SR805 and was looking for any advice or suggestions. I have done a search
and read the threads and reviews on both receivers.

The receiver would be going in an enclosed cabinet so I figure I would have to
install at least one cooling fan.

Any input is appreciated.

Lotus 01-03-2008 12:37 PM

Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdisr (Post 8709)
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver hooked up to my Toshiba
HD-A1 HDDVD and Sony 50 inch SXRD rear projection tv. My speakers
consist of the following:

Front speakers - Polk RTi6
Center Polk CSi3
Subwoofer Polk SW404
Rear Surround Home Theater Direct Middy's

I am considering upgrading my receiver to either a Yamaha RX-v861 or a Onkyo
TX-SR805 and was looking for any advice or suggestions. I have done a search
and read the threads and reviews on both receivers.

The receiver would be going in an enclosed cabinet so I figure I would have to
install at least one cooling fan.

Any input is appreciated.

I'd strongly suggest looking at a similar Denon model or go with the Onkyo.

tasdisr 01-03-2008 12:53 PM

Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
Would the Denon AVR-2808CI be the model that would be comparable to the Yamaha and Onkyo?

Lotus 01-03-2008 12:59 PM

Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdisr (Post 8717)
Would the Denon AVR-2808CI be the model that would be comparable to the Yamaha and Onkyo?

No I think that model would blow it out of the water. I think the similar model is the 1908?

I'm not sure I'd have to go look it up honestly. The good news is if you're buying a 2K+ model you have to get it from a Denon direct dealer vs the dealers who get the units from distributors. That or Best Buy Magnolia.

thehifidoc 01-03-2008 10:23 PM

Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
I strongly suggest that you go with Denon. I have had the opportunity to compare the Denon directly with Onkyo, Yamaha, and Rotel. In all cases all listeners agreed that the Denon sounded better. The listeners in all cases included audiofiles, interested parties and less interested housewives. The decisions were unanimous in favor of Denon. In most cases The Denon cost less than half the price of the competitors. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a denon dealer so keep that in mind, but I also have the opportunity to sell all of these brands. I re-evaluate every year. I think the Denon offers the most bang for the buck. I like the 2808 series and up if you can afford it. Crutchfield is an option but your local dealer may offer you better service and installation. I always reccomend professional instalation by a CEDIA or HAA certified tech to get the best performance.

Lotus 01-03-2008 11:16 PM

Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehifidoc (Post 8806)
I strongly suggest that you go with Denon. I have had the opportunity to compare the Denon directly with Onkyo, Yamaha, and Rotel. In all cases all listeners agreed that the Denon sounded better. The listeners in all cases included audiofiles, interested parties and less interested housewives. The decisions were unanimous in favor of Denon. In most cases The Denon cost less than half the price of the competitors. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a denon dealer so keep that in mind, but I also have the opportunity to sell all of these brands. I re-evaluate every year. I think the Denon offers the most bang for the buck. I like the 2808 series and up if you can afford it. Crutchfield is an option but your local dealer may offer you better service and installation. I always reccomend professional instalation by a CEDIA or HAA certified tech to get the best performance.


Better than the Rotel? That's something I'd have to experiment with. I have no problem believing the Onkyo and Yamaha don't sound as good. I've just never side by side compared a Denon with a Rotel. Denon with NAD, Arcam, and others sure and they never hold up.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.


1996-2008 AVRev.com | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1