Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 01-29-2008   #25

Default Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Good choice, I'm sure you'll fully enjoy your new Onkyo receiver.

I recently picked up a Yamaha RX-V3800 and am very happy with it so far. Before I decided on the Yamaha I probably should have done a bit more research into power amps and separates. Since I was replacing a Sony STR-DE835 receiver my mind was wrapped up in getting a "bigger, better" receiver with updated technology such a HDMI switching, more power and something considered more "high end".

At the dealer I narrowed down what I liked to the Yamaha and the Denon 3808. Honestly I didn't listen to the Onkyo because I personally don't care for the brand name and look. That's no to say Onkyo doesn't make great receivers, the high end models I was looking at got great ratings. To me the Onkyo is not a sight to behold, not that any of these things are gorgeous but to my eyes the Onkyo's look is the least desirable. I know we don't buy these things to look at them but to hear them yet I just wouldn't want to look at that thing in my A/V rack. Also every review of Onkyo I have read states that they run VERY hot, to the point where you almost can't touch them. That may be normal operation for an Onkyo but it still makes me worry about reliability and longevity. Heat is the enemy of consumer electronics and most other things for that matter.

The dealer let me listen to both receivers over the same set of Paradigm speakers. He kept switching between the two receivers. On each receiver he set the volume at -10db and also had both receivers in pure stereo mode so that the comparison would be fair. The music played over each receiver was the same also. Both receivers sounded very good, the Denon's sound was a little more "in your face" and up front. The Yamaha's sound to me was a little more laid back but also smoother and cleaner. Again that's to my ears. Others may prefer the Denon's sound.

Anyway, FWIW that's my experience with buying a receiver. Hope it offers some insight.

Last edited by mvision7m2; 01-29-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Sited wrong brand
mvision7m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #26

Thanks! I am enjoying my Onkyo 805 very much!! It does run hotter than the Yamaha it replaced but a couple of 80mm fans do a good job of keeping the temp reasonable. It is in
a closed cabinet which does not help but I have been wanting to cut some ventilation holes
in the back even when I had the Yamaha.

I had listened to both the Yamaha and Denon at my local dealer and actually liked the Denon sound better! To each his own.

The best thing was after I hooked up my Onkyo, my wife and I sat down to watch a movie. The first thing she said was how much better she liked the sound of the Onkyo
over the Yamaha we replaced.

I also thought that the Onkyo was the best bang for the buck when I purchased it.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #27

Smile Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

You know, when you go over them all, (Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo) it could be a toss up, they are so close. But, I favor the Onkyo`s, and they are the best bang for the buck. But to be fair, I have not heard a Denon receiver in a while.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
You know, when you go over them all, (Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo) it could be a toss up, they are so close. But, I favor the Onkyo`s, and they are the best bang for the buck. But to be fair, I have not heard a Denon receiver in a while.
I agree, for the price the Onkyo's are hard to beat! I think the best advice I received from here and other forums was to make sure to demo the receivers. Since sound is so subjective
it was very good advice.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #29

Smile Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
I agree, for the price the Onkyo's are hard to beat! I think the best advice I received from here and other forums was to make sure to demo the receivers. Since sound is so subjective
it was very good advice.
Exactly. It is a bit of a process. But, one you should enjoy as well. Get your favorite DVD`s and CD`s, ones you know well, and go for it.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #30

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I recently went through an AVR upgrade. I was replacing my old Onkyo txds777b. I loved this unit but with new decoding processes it was time to upgrade. I'd been planning on a Denon for sometime. I ended up with the 2808ci. I got it home and ran the audyssey eq setup with the mic on a tripod and 7 listening positions. Checked the levels with an SPL meter. Ran test source material and watched / listened to several movies. I came to the conclusion that I really didn't like the Denon "sound". It seemed a bit hollow and unnatural IMO. So, I took the receiver back and ended up with a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. I never pictured myself buying an elite, not that there's anything wrong with the brand, It just wasn't on my radar of possibilities. So to make a long story short, I'm very pleased with the purchase. The sound quality suits me well and the fit and finish of the receiver is outstanding.

I know you've made your decision but, I wanted to through out some other ideas for those who are viewing this thread looking for advice on a new AVR.
cptpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1800, 4808ci, advice, better, compare, denon, home, onkyo, receiver, receivers, recieversyamha, reviews, speakers, theater, yamaha