Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 01-08-2008   #19

Default Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

When I bought my last receiver the choice was much easier I think because the only brands that I had really heard of were Yamaha, Pioneer and Marantz.

I bought purely on name recognition and chose Yamaha. Thanks to sites like this I have become aware of many other fine brands. I really do like the Denon 3808CI, but keep finding myself going back to look at the Onkyo 875.

Decisions, Decisions!!
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
tasdisr,

To be more specific, I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR875, or the TX-NR905. Both excellent receivers. Then, choose between the Onkyo, Yamaha, or Denon. But, I really think Andrew`s articles on the Onkyo and Yamaha will help you. He has a excellent way of breaking every thing down simply.
I know the Onkyo TX-SR875 can be had at a price much closer to the $1000.00 that I originally wanted to spend and I am sure soundwise it would be a huge leap over my Yamaha RX-V750.
Old 01-08-2008   #21

Smile Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Okay, there you go. Maybe now it comes down to flexibilty(connections), ease of use(remote control, menus) and things like that. Remember, after all the research is done, you have to LIVE with that purchase. So, that part of the decision is really personal.
If there is something about the Onkyo that keeps drawing you back, maybe that is the one.

The good news, is that at this time, the choices are all pretty good, so you really can not go wrong with any of them.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #22

Andrew's review and other comments on this forum are what originally started me looking
at the Onkyo. They just seem like the best bang for the buck.

The Denon is also impressive. As you stated the best thing I can do is listen to both,
compare features and ask questions.

My thanks to you and everyone else on this forum!!
Old 01-08-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
I know the Onkyo TX-SR875 can be had at a price much closer to the $1000.00 that I originally wanted to spend and I am sure soundwise it would be a huge leap over my Yamaha RX-V750.
I meant the 805 could be had at a price much closer to the original $1000.00 I wanted to spend
Old 01-14-2008   #24

After a lot of reading and trips to do some listening I ended up ordering an Onkyo 805
and hope to have it on Thursday. Since I had already planned on taking Friday off
my weekend is planned!
Sponsored Links

Tags
1800, 4808ci, advice, better, compare, denon, home, onkyo, receiver, receivers, recieversyamha, reviews, speakers, theater, yamaha