Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 01-04-2008   #13

Thumbs up Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
Really dumb question. If I do upgrade my receiver to the Yamaha or Denon will there
be a noticeable difference in sound quality?
The difference is obvious. I have replaced several Yamahas with Denon and the result is always the same, Instantly more clarity and detail. The Denon is much more versatile as well.

Last edited by thehifidoc; 01-05-2008 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: I type dyslexically
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #14

Default Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Really dumb question. If I do upgrade my receiver to the Yamaha or Denon will there
be a noticeable difference in sound quality?
My Denon replaced a Sony ES receiver & the sound quality improvement was immediately noticeable.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #15

When I bought my Yamaha four years ago I bought mainly on brand name recognition. This time I want to make a more educated purchase and the more I read, while Yamaha makes some great equipment, the Denon line seems to edge them out a little bit on features, ease of setup etc.

The Onkyo seems nice, but everyone talks about hot they seem to run. I think I may
try to up my budget and spring for a Denon unit, maybe the 3808ci. Going to the dealer
tomorrow to look and listen.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #16

Went and checked out the Yamaha 1800 & 3800 and Denon 2808ci & 3808ci at the local dealer where I purchased my current receiver and and HDTV. Have to say I was very impressed with the Denon, especially the 3808.

The dealer has been a Yamaha dealer for over 15 years and started handling the Denon line 5 or 6 years ago. The sale person said that the past few years he feels that Denon has just
been edging out the Yamaha in terms of performance and dollar value and said he would reccomend the Denon 3808 over the Yamaha 3800, but either would would be a good choice.

Hope to make a decision soon. Leaning more to the Denon than Yamaha.
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #17

Thumbs up Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Went and checked out the Yamaha 1800 & 3800 and Denon 2808ci & 3808ci at the local dealer where I purchased my current receiver and and HDTV. Have to say I was very impressed with the Denon, especially the 3808.

The dealer has been a Yamaha dealer for over 15 years and started handling the Denon line 5 or 6 years ago. The sale person said that the past few years he feels that Denon has just
been edging out the Yamaha in terms of performance and dollar value and said he would reccomend the Denon 3808 over the Yamaha 3800, but either would would be a good choice.

Hope to make a decision soon. Leaning more to the Denon than Yamaha.
Listening is always preferable to helpful hints. But don`t get me wrong, reviews are a guide and informative. Though I like Denon as well, I think you should check out one of the Onkyos. Andrew Robinson did a great review on it in avrev.com as well. You just want to make sure you have heard everything, if you can. And this decision seems very important to you. There are many happy Onkyo owners out there. And, I have not heard anything info about them running hot.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #18

tasdisr,

To be more specific, I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR875, or the TX-NR905. Both excellent receivers. Then, choose between the Onkyo, Yamaha, or Denon. But, I really think Andrew`s articles on the Onkyo and Yamaha will help you. He has a excellent way of breaking every thing down simply.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1800, 4808ci, advice, better, compare, denon, home, onkyo, receiver, receivers, recieversyamha, reviews, speakers, theater, yamaha