Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 01-04-2008   #7

Default Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

I probably will check out the Denon 2808 or 3808 though I think both are more than what I am hoping to spend.

I am hoping to stay under a $1000.00
tasdisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehifidoc View Post
audiofiles
Audiophiles.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #9

Thumbs up Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Better than the Rotel? That's something I'd have to experiment with. I have no problem believing the Onkyo and Yamaha don't sound as good. I've just never side by side compared a Denon with a Rotel. Denon with NAD, Arcam, and others sure and they never hold up.
It is true, I would not have believed it myself at first since I hold Rotel in High regard. My customer David Z. and his wife were both amazed when the Rotel was bested by a Denon in the sub 1K range. We had it connected to Krix Loudspeakers from Australia, I think the phoenix model, in the 1k plus range. On music and movies I seen he and his wife looking at each other in amazement. He finally opted for the 4808ci, but when the auddessy circuit when out we loaned him a 3808ci and he said that also sounded better than the Rotel receiver. So 3 out of 3 Denon's bested the Rotel in clarity and weight.

Last edited by thehifidoc; 01-04-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: I hit the send button too soon
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #10

Thanks for the input. I will definitely add Denon to my list. The electronics dealer where
I purchased my Yamaha rx-v750 four years ago carries the Denon and Yamaha lines.
They price match and actually know about the product and do not try to upsell.

I think I will still check the Yamaha v861 but also add the Denon 2808CI to my list.

Last edited by tasdisr; 01-04-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-04-2008   #11

Really dumb question. If I do upgrade my receiver to the Yamaha or Denon will there
be a noticeable difference in sound quality?
Old 01-04-2008   #12

Thumbs up Re: Receiver advice-Yamaha or Onkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdisr View Post
Thanks for the input. I will definitely add Denon to my list. The electronics dealer where
I purchased my Yamaha rx-v750 four years ago carries the Denon and Yamaha lines.
They price match and actually know about the product and do not try to upsell.

I think I will still check the Yamaha v861 but also add the Denon 2808CI to my list.
I would definitely check out the Yamaha RX-V861. In fact, Andrew Robinson did a great review on it in AVREV.COM. You should definitely read it. Rotel less than Denon. I know in my experience, their separates, especially the preamps, bested some really highly regarded folks. Can`t really speak for the receiver lineup though.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1800, 4808ci, advice, better, compare, denon, home, onkyo, receiver, receivers, recieversyamha, reviews, speakers, theater, yamaha