Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-23-2007   #1

Default DO YOU HAVE TO PLAY THAT LOUD

I HAVE RINGING IN MY EAR AND HAVE HAD IT FOR 25 YRS..I CAN STILL PICK UP VERY GOOD DIFFERENCES FROM THE SURROUND SPEAKERS AND SUBWOOFER.
MY PROBLEM IS I TRY AND NOT CRANK UP THE SOUNDS TO A POINT OF DISTURBING MY RINGING AND MAKING MY RINGING IN MY EARS ANY LOUDER..
I FOUND THAT WITH MY OLD 8 YR OLD PIONEER VSX24TX THAT I HAVE TO REALLY CRANK UP THE DB TO REALLY HEAR AND GET THE SOUNDS TO POP AND FEEL THE MOVIE..
I GUESS I AM TRYING TO REALLY KNOW WITH MY NEXT PURCHASE OF A RECEIVER IF THE CHANNELS OF THE NEW RECEIVERS HAVE TO REALLY BE AS LOUD TO GET THE SENSATION AND SEPERATIONS OF THE MOVIE.
I DO LIKE TO PLAY IT LOUD AND THAN MY WIFE COMPLAINS ALSO ABOUT HOW LOUD I HAVE IT ALSO..
SO WITH MY EARS AND MY WIFE TRYING TO SEE IF I AM ASKING TO MUCH OF THE NEW EQUIPMENT...
I WOULD LIKE TO STAY AROUND 2000.00 FOR THIS NEW RECEIVER..
I DID SEE SOMEONE IN MY LAST WRITING SAID ABOUT NAD AND ADCOM RECEIVERS..
WITH ALL THE REVIEWS OF ALL THEY ALL RECEIVERS THEY SEEM TO BEND AND SAY ALL RECEIVERS HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER IF YOU READ THEM ..
LEAVES YOU SCRATCHING YOUR HEAD AND WONDERING WHAT DO I BUY..
IF ANYONE HAS GONE THROUGH THIS I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS ..
THANKS AGAIN JOE
Harleyujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #2

Default Re: DO YOU HAVE TO PLAY THAT LOUD

Joe,

Typing in all caps is considered yelling on line and is also VERY much harder to read!

As for the ringing in your ears, it's tinnitus and is a sign of damaged hearing, which would explain the need for higher volume to fully appreciate the dynamics of films. I do not think a different receiver will change that though. One thing that might be hampering you is if you have the dynamic compression in your receiver turned on, sometimes this is called a nighttime mode or something like that, it's a long shot, but you might have it on, otherwise I think you are stuck listening to films loud. FWIW many people do like their movies pretty loud for the same reason.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
20, audio, blu, db, ears, loud, movie, play, ray, receiver, ringing, tinnitus