Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 06-11-2007   #19

Default Re: Yamaha RX-V861 7.1 Receiver Reviewew

Devanee,

Both are exceptional receivers that do essentially the same thing. The 2807 may be a bit easier to 'set up' but I must say I do prefer the Yamaha's surround sound decoding and other digital DSP's. You've kind of presented the perfect match up. I know we've reviewed both units and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #20

Default Re: Yamaha RX-V861 7.1 Receiver Review

Interesting. Sorry. I'd like to see how the Amp section on each can handle low impedance loads.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #21

Andrew, thank you for providing such a great review on the Yamaha RX-V861 7.1 receiver. Unfortunately, Yamaha's receivers today do not get the publicity or credit they deserve. I truly think they provide the biggest bang for the buck in the A/V receiver market today.

I currently use a Yamaha HTR-5960 7.1 receiver, which is basically last year's version without HDMI switching, and the sound quality and surround management for movies and stereo is just as you state. I bought my version without HDMI switching for $379, which is an insane price point. I couldn't justify buying a receiver with HDMI 1.2 with 1.3 on the horizon - especially since my PS3 uses 1.3. Once Yamaha incorporates HDMI 1.3 into its receivers I will upgrade. That way I can fully utilize Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD via my PS3 for Blu-ray playback.

Please keep Yamaha receivers on your radar for review. I'm sure a lot of us would love to read your thoughts once HDMI 1.3 is incorporated. Thanks!
kingofgrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #22

Given my experience with the 861 I can say without a doubt Yamaha is now squarely in my sights and on my radar. You can count on AVRev.com for all your Yamaha news and review needs. Thank you for your support and have a wonderful day.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 07-03-2007   #23

Andrew, I see that you own Outlaw gear. In terms of DSP, how does the Yamaha stand up against the Outlaw 990?
Audiolib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #24

Wow, that's an interesting question. In a way it's not quite a fair comparison but here's my two cents. For starters, I feel the Yamaha's DSP processing, especially their faux multi-channel DSP's are exceptional and have few if any rivals. The Yamaha also has very good Dolby Digital and DTS modes as well. That being said, the Outlaw gear is a bit more upscale in terms of its sound. It doesn't do a lot of tricks which purists are going to gravitate to. The Outlaw also gives you a bit more control over the sound and surround sound decoding especially when it comes to bass management, although you have to fiddle with it manually. The room correction with the 990 is AMAZING, especially when it comes to the bass management stuff. I belive the Outlaw's pure two-channel reproduction is far superior to the Yamaha's and if you listen to a lot of two-channel music you're most likely going to want that. That being said the Outlaw offers you a bit more flexability with your system down the road since its a seperates based solution. The 990 doesn't have HDMI support of any kind where as the Yamaha does. It really is a toss up in a lot of ways. Either way I don't feel you can go wrong, it's honestly going to come down to a matter of preference. The Yamaha is a bit more lively where as the Outlaw gear tries to be more neutral. Both brands offer exceptional value for the money and regardless of your purchasing decision both would be a smart finacial move as well.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Sponsored Links

Tags
6090, 71, 861, cal, connecting, forums, media, pc, receiver, receivers, review, reviews, rx861, rxv861, yamaha