Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 06-05-2007   #13

Default Re: Yamaha RX-V861 7.1 Receiver Reviewew

No doubt you're right on all those points - it's unfair/untrue to compare those as equals. Better way to say it is that the "bang-for-the-buck" factor points me towards the 861. Since the PS3's recent firmware update that allows it to shoot everything out 1080p (via HDMI), the only thing that I would be scaling are Direct TV SD broadcasts from my DirectTV H20. That scaling plus the video processing in my soon-to-purchase Sony 60" XBR 1080p I'm hoping will be "enough", at least for now. I'll check the manual for the actual video processing chip(s) as well as the DD TrueHD and DTS HD audio. I know I saw DTS Neo 6 in the specs, but I'll check for these.
bo-cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
Bo-cephus,

You get a few other differences between the Onk 875 and the Yam 861. The Onk is THX Ultra 2 certified (as is the 805) plus the 875 uses the Reon chip for upscaling to 1080p while the 861 apparently uses the Faroudja DCDi (or something comparable) and only goes to 720p/1080i. I think universally the Reon is considered a much better processor, but then the 875 is 50% more expensive and isn't out yet. Personally, I think the 805 is really much more comparable to the 861 with DCDi, limited upscaling plus a somewhat similar price. I've got the 805 pre-ordered at two places, one for $999 and the other for $899. I've seen the Yamaha listed from $799 to $899.

Also, the Onkyo discussion and website make quite a big deal about the DD TrueHD and DTS HD audio, I'm not sure why Yamaha doesn't even mention it, that's why I asked Andrew if the 861 has the on-board HD audio processors which evidently it does but neither are listed by Yamaha so I wonder if it's really TrueHD/HD Audio or if it's just really good sounding with the older DD/DTS formats. Does the manual say anything about this?

All that said, I'm seriously considering the Yamaha. My HDTV displays 1080p but only accepts up to 1080i (so much for jumping on the 1080p display technology first) so the Yamaha's maximum 1080i upscaling would be fine for me (although I do wonder if the upscaling even comes close to the Reon chip). I'd really like to see a comparison between the 861's 1080i upscaling vs a good upscaling DVD or BD/HD machine to see if it's even worth having (I assume it can be turned off to allow straight pass-through).
Here's what the manual says it supports re: sound:
manual page 3
"Sound field programs" section:
Dolby Digital/EX
DTS/DTS-ES <Atrix, Discrete, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24 decoder
Dolby Pro Logic/DPL IIx decoder
Neural Sound Decoder
Virtual Cinema DSP
SILENT CINEMA

"XM Satellite Radio" section:
"Neural Surround Decoder to play back the XM HD content of XM Satellite Radio braodcasts in multi channels..."

"Other Features"
192-kHz/24-bit D/A converter
Pure Direct mode for pure hi-fi sound for all sources

Terms included in the "Glossary" Section:
DTS 96/24
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology

I didn't see any mention of Dolby True HD of "DTS HD"; closest I could find is DTS 96/24. Also no mention of the actual video processor. Doen't appear to be the Faroudja or the one used in the 2700. I'll email when I hear back from Yamaha.
bo-cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #15

Bo,

You appear to be correct. I was messing about with the V861 and the Matrix Trilogy on HD DVD last night and found that the Dolby TrueHD I was hearing was being decoded in the player itself then passed to the Yamaha. It appears the V861 does not have TrueHD support. I went back over my initial review and found that I did not state that it did, however, on the forums I believe I may have said it did. It will play it back if decoded by another source but it will not decode it internally, to the best of my knowledge, which you seem to be backing up with your extensive research.

I am terribly sorry for any confusion or frustration caused on my behalf and want to stress that in no way should this fact take anything away from the sheer performance of the V861. I'm certain as TrueHD becomes more common place Yamaha will incorporate it into their receivers at prices you won't believe.

Also, I've put in a formal request to review the newest Onkyo 805 receiver, which DOES support TrueHD and is close in cost to the V861.

Please accept my apologies for any misinformation and my thanks to you and everyone on this forum for being so meticulous. This is what makes this forum great for everyone.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com

Last edited by Robinson_A; 06-07-2007 at 08:33 PM..
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #16

OK, thanks Andrew that clears much of this up regarding the 861. Overall though, and this is just a general comment but it seems that things just continue to get more complicated. For instance you could have an upscaling DVD player that can upscale to 1080p, a receiver that can do the same upscaling and a display that can also do it. Now, on top of all that you can have TrueHD/HD Audio that can be decoded in the player or in the receiver. Is it just me or are we paying for a lot of duplicated technology between these devices? Is there really a big difference between the way all these perform? I mean would a receiver that decodes TrueHD sound better than a player that does it?

Also, just curious but which of the new Onkyo's are you planning on reviewing? All of them from the 605 up have TrueHD/HD Audio but as far as being comparable to the 861 you should probably look at either the 705 or 805. I've decided on the 805 vice the 861 because of the THX Ultra and additional HDMI input (plus a few other lesser features) and it's available for $200 off MSRP (authorized seller) which makes it very competitive with the Yamaha. Right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the Onk 805 will sound as good as the 861.
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #17

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the 805. I've requested a review unit which I hope will be arriving shortly so that I may share my thoughts with you all.

Enjoy the 805...

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #18

HI there..
I know that moderators must hate comparision questions, but I think I have narrowed down my choices to this receiver vs Denon AVR 2807..
Does any one have any comments on these two..

Thanks
devanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
6090, 71, 861, cal, connecting, forums, media, pc, receiver, receivers, review, reviews, rx861, rxv861, yamaha