Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Receivers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers-39/)
-   -   Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. 875 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/receivers/1147-onkyo-tx-sr805-vs-875-a.html)

If Indoubt 11-27-2007 01:09 PM

Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. 875

I'm trying to decide between these two receivers for my home theater set-up. Andrew Robinson had a fantastic review of the 805, calling it a juggernaught. He also said the ""differences between the 805 and 875 are more subtle (than the differences between the 805 and 905, which were "very apparent", although he didn't explain in what ways).
The Crutchfied catalog side-by-side review of receiver specs had the only difference between the 805 and 875 was in Video Upconverting (scaling). The 875 "outputs 480p/720p/1080i/1080p via HDMI" whereas this ability wasn't checked off in the 805 so i assume it can't do this stuff, but I'm not sure exactly what that means.
If money is no object (not) i assume one would go for the 875, yes?
Any opinions comparing these two receivers is appreciated.

Robinson_A 11-27-2007 01:24 PM

Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. 875

You are correct. The 805 will upsample via HDMI but only to the native signal. For example, 480i content becomes 480p via HDMI. However, if most of your sources output 1080p and the 805 can output true 1080p then why spend more for the upconversion. Personally, turning a 480i signal into 1080p isn't exactly AWESOME video. SD is still SD. It cleans things up a bit but native HD will always be better. Just my two cents.

The 905 adds a bit more to the puzzle but between the 805 and the 875 I'm not sure I would go 875. I know you said cost was no object, but if you can save a penny here and there wouldn't you want to?

If Indoubt 11-28-2007 06:32 AM

Andrew, to paraphrase you, you're saying you just don't get enough to upgrade to the 875 for your money. And yes, I meant to say money is an object (otherwise I'd be looking at that sweet Yamaha RX-Z11...).

Robinson_A 11-28-2007 09:30 AM

For me, on a budget, the added $$$ of the 875 isn't worth it for me. I would save the dough, buy the 805 and put the savings into a Blu-ray or HD DVD player. If you already own one or both of the new formats then buy a couple discs and enjoy.

Hope this helped...

Bspringer 12-23-2007 07:43 AM

Hello Andrew Robinson and anyone else who would read this post:

First, I greatly appreciate your insights with regards to the TR-SX805 THX Ultra2 Certified Receiver that you editorialized on this site back in October....ironically about the same time my story begins:

I purchased the 805 from Circuit City retail chain here in Pa., along with a Boston Accoustics surround speakers/ Sony PS3/ and a Panasonic 58 inch plasma 1080p, all set up by Firedog installation service through Circuit City (I could have done it myself, but they were wall mounting the 175lb monitor, so why not have them do it...Everything was new and not (out of the box)

Not too shabby huh?

Yeah.

The 805 was used sparingly as my work schedule only allowed for limited use in the evenings. After 3 weeks I noticed the sound began to work intermittently. another week later - nothing...

Called Circuit City. They put me on to Onkyo. Since I had the 5 year warranty and a "dead unit", they (Onkyo) said I had to ship it to a certified repair shop to determine if is "dead" or fixable. If dead, they send me a new unit.

The certified repair shop they put me onto refused to take any Onkyo work. Onkyo's reply: Basically its my problem between me and the repair shop. I had to beg Onkyo to call the repair shop to confirm. They finally did and wound up sending me to another repair shop.

2 MONTHS LATER....

The mysterious "defective part" is still on back order. I had to project manage between their repair shop and Onkyo to get the process moving on getting to the bottom of my receiver issue. (felt like I was at work!)

Part is some kind of module that hasn't been manufactured yet. So, by "friends" at Onkyo sent them a whole new circuit panel. Once installed it still won't work. So, now it has to be shipped to a "regional" Onkyo repair shop. I'll let you know if I get this thing back by Spring.

Lets recap: I paid $1,100 for this wonderful piece of_ _ _ _ (technology) and I was able to enjoy it for 3 weeks.

I previously owned (3) mid/upper end Yamaha recievers, and this move was a supposed "upgrade" to what I previously used. This was a gigantic mistake that I will not make again.

Onkyo (poor product in my opinion -obviously- and the customer service experience was like nothing else I have ever encountered in my professional career)

Give me a Yamaha - any day of the week. All 3 previous units are still working and NEVER had any any problems with them. (One is in the garage and one in the basement work area)

Hey Andrew-wanna buy a TR-SX805 THX Ultra2 Certified Receiver that you glow over? I'll make you a good price?

;-)

Robinson_A 12-23-2007 08:00 AM

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the 805. During my short stint with it (roughly 3 mo) it performed flawlessly, however, that's not to say it or any Onkyo product is or is going to be immune to problems. Sounds like you got a lemon. I'm more concerned about Onkyo's lack of care and customer service.

Yamaha is a great brand too. However, like all things mechanical there are bound to be misshaps along the way. I had a mega dollar amplifier (small car kind of money) recently that decided it too wanted to stop working all of a sudden. It must have been contageous because a day later my pre/pro (again $$$) started dropping out like a bad cell phone. It's a crap shoot.

I am sorry for your trouble but thank you for sharing your story.