Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Receivers

Receivers Ask your questions on AV receivers ranging from HDMI connectivity to calibration to setup to power ratings and beyond.

Old 12-23-2007   #7

Default Re: Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. 875

Thanks for letting me rant.

Believe me - when it was first purchased, it definitely was better than the older yamaha (stronger). But, I've owned mid/ upper Sony, Pioneer and Yamaha (Yamaha was my favorite of those), and never had a functionality problem.

In my experience, receivers just get old in terms of technology, not in terms of ability to function. Most people it seems, just want to "upgrade". So you wind up with a 20 year old reciever out in the garage.

Perhaps you're right: I just got the one lemon out of 1,000 that were manufactured. Hopefully so. Perhaps I'll get it back and it will work fine.

But I'm strongly considering taking the loss and just getting another Yamaha - partly because I will never deal with Onkyo ever again.

Andrew - any suggestions for the equivilent Yamaha?
Bspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #8

Bspringer,

Given CC return policy, why didn't you just return it to the store and get a new one? I would have wanted new given such an early failure.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #9

I tried that.

The store manager told me that if it was a TV, speakers, GPS, etc.. returning the unit and swapping it out would be no problem. The way it was explained to me, this is an Onkyo thing that they cannot process a returned Onkyo reciever in the same manner.

I'm not convinced if this is true -whether its some kind of an inconvenience for CC, or whether money is involved in some way: regardless, I tried to make CC take it back right away and they refused - pushing me onto my new found friends at Onkyo....where this circus began.

(I thought it was BS at the time from the CC manager...but now that I'm geting to know Onkyo intimately, I'm beginning to understand things better)
Old 12-24-2007   #10

Why not just return it? They do have a 30 day return policy and a receiver wouldn't have a restocking fee.

To me, it's a dead unit, I'd make them take it back. I would be attracting all kinds of attention if they didn't take it back!
Old 12-24-2007   #11

Understood.

I tried laying that on them. I was about as forcefull as I could be - short of loading a pistol at the customer service desk!

Its funny - I bought my Dad a $500 Magellan GPS for father's day - it was dead in 28 days- and CC took it back for a full exchange on a new one. No questions asked. (Same store).

I gave this store over $9,000 worth of business (TV/PS3/Stereo/Speakers/Hardware, etc)

At this point I'll chalk it up to lessons learned.

I shared my story which is what I wanted to do, since I have no power or control over what Onkyo or CC does....but I can Blog. They can't stop me from doing that.

For the purpose of this site/ forum, I'd just like to know which Yamaha is comparable - so when I get the Onkyo back I can ebay it as quickly as possible.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2007   #12

You mean they would in no way take it back??

I understand if it is defective they might have a policy with Onkyo to go through them, but I would have thought they would take a return.

Did you try going back another day and just saying you didn't like it or the wife nixed the purchase???: Maybe try a different CC in the area??

I have had some issues lately with these places which used to have amazing return policies, but I suspect as the margin of profit drops on everything they too must reign in their policies.

I checked CC website and this is the quote;

There is no restocking fee for defective product returned in exchange for the exact same product, or for product originally purchased as Open Box.

See their return policy @

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/...d/lookLearn.do

I would shove that line in front of the manager and threaten legal action. they are screwing you and you've more than patronized them, they should be doing everything they can to keep you happy, not trying to **** you off!

From what I read on their website, there is no exclusion for Onkyo, go back in there and chew the manager a new poop hole, print the web page so you can show him the current policy, oh, and if they try to tell you it's a late return now, they have extended the return policy for the holidays!

You should in no way have to put up with this, they should take it back and in my mind anything less would force me to call attorney's.

Go raise some stink and get a new one!
Sponsored Links

Tags
0nkyo, 805, 875, circuit, city, compare, denon, onkyo, receiver, repairnc, sr805, tr, tx, tx805, txsr805