Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 09-19-2007   #7

Default Re: What is the best rear projection HDTV currently?

Hi Guys,

I wouldn't buy into HDMI 1.3 for the Deep Color. It will probably be a long time before Hollywood does transfers in that color space. Christ they only just started transferrring in HD color space which isn't nearly as wide. Of course, having 1.3 for the future can't hurt.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #8

Kevin,

Thanks for bringing me back to reality in regards to the deep color issue.

Now I will have to say I am just going to upgrade to the new 60" Pioneer Elite plasma for..... size?
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #9

First, I fell in love with Samsung, then Mitsu. But Sony is what I really like now. With one caveat. The KDS-60A2020 has a much more natural color than the newest KDS-60A3000. Which has a greenish tint to everything including skin tones. I thought it was the unit, but when I went to another retailer and compared to other units it had the same problem. I don't know why the default is set that way. I didn't find the remote to see how much of it could be corrected. My guess is that it should be easy to fix. But let me know.
noteboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteboom View Post
First, I fell in love with Samsung, then Mitsu. But Sony is what I really like now. With one caveat. The KDS-60A2020 has a much more natural color than the newest KDS-60A3000. Which has a greenish tint to everything including skin tones. I thought it was the unit, but when I went to another retailer and compared to other units it had the same problem. I don't know why the default is set that way. I didn't find the remote to see how much of it could be corrected. My guess is that it should be easy to fix. But let me know.
Welcome to the fourm!!!!

Mike Levy alluded to an easy solution to the green issue on the sony. i hate to even call it an "issue". All top sets need calibration. they just do. Even if you do it yourself. As an ISF school dropout - I hire Kevin Miller.
Old 09-23-2007   #11
jbk

I'm waiting to see what JVC follows up with in the next month or so. I'd like the HDMI 1.3 interface and 120 frame refresh rate.

The problem is seeing the Sony or JVC in an environment that really showcases their capabilities.

Viewing angle still seems to be a problem but it might not be at home.

Maybe I'll have to scale back my expectations and buy down since equipment is obsolete in less than 6 months.

jbk

An aside: I bought my daughter an upscaling DVD player for her HD TV for her birthday. She was in shock and awe with the amount of detail and enjoyability it brought to watching movies.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #12

Default Amazing upscaling DVD players (but I still would go HD)

I have a Sony HDMI DVD player in my bedroom and it is KILLER even without say a DVDO VP50 or anything fancy (a killer unit) like that.

Also the DVD player on my Macbook Pro is stunningly good on that high res screen. When on a plane - you can't beat it (for now).

But with that said - at $300 its worth getting a Toshiba a20 for $300-ish. $200 extra isn't going to kill any of my readers and it supports all things HD. This needs to be a MASS MARKET thing and for BOTH formats. I don't see either going away.
Sponsored Links

Tags
40, bulb, bulbs, costco, expectancy, hdtv, jvc, kds55a3000, life, parts, projection, rear, replacement, sold, sony