Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 10-03-2008   #7

Default Re: Sony KDS-R50XBR1 yellow stain

Ive had my light engine replaced after owning the TV for about a year and a half. I had no problems with Sony on this, but I also have an extended warranty to cover any issues.

I did not notice any change in color or other issues after replacement.

Kind of upsetting spending the kind of money some of us did on this SXRD stuff and having it fail. But the picture quality on these units just blows everything else away.

Hope everything goes well on your repair!
DMD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #8

Cool Re: Sony KDS-R50XBR1 yellow stain

Just an update. Got the optical block changed today. So far so good. Still have to calibrate but looks even better than before. Thanks for everyones suggestions.
gonzosparky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008   #9

Check for discolorations on a white background (use a picture or some other still image), My parents have had 3 optical blocks replaced this year in their 50" XBR1.
The first one was when the stain showed up under regular programing (after just over 2 years use) & the next 2 came very quickly because after replacing the optical block I went straight to a white screen & checked very close.
I saw green & pink discolorations, these would not be seen on regular programing but may have just gotten worse over time.

Sony has offered to replace their set, so far they have offered to replace it with a new KDL-52XBR6 for $1200 but I may have them wait to see the new XBR7 before they decide.

So check your set closely, this one was bought by me in Dec of 2005 & Sony extended the optical block warranty to 3 years so this one was about to expire.
It's a shame really because when it's working right it has an amazing picture!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #10

Thanks Moose. I checked on white background, sure enough green stain. Why wait for XBR7? To get the xbr6 cheaper or to get the xbr7?
Old 10-16-2008   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzosparky04 View Post
Thanks Moose. I checked on white background, sure enough green stain. Why wait for XBR7? To get the xbr6 cheaper or to get the xbr7?
Well the XBR7 should be out soon so why not look at it?

Actually my folks are thinking get the W series 52" & a 40" for the bedroom at the same time.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008   #12

Hey Moose is the 52"W series sonys replacement for 50xbr1, or a seperate purchase?
Sponsored Links

Tags
55, action, block, class, color, green, inch, kds, kdsr50xbr1, lcd, optical, problem, projection, r50xbr1, rear, replacement, sony, sxrdsettlement