Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rear Projection HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv-21/)
-   -   Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv/244-please-talk-me-out-buying-crt-tv.html)

jairus 07-07-2007 08:47 AM

Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

Guys, please talk me out of buying a CRT TV in this day and age...Ever since I saw a Loewe 38" Aconda HDTV at a high end AV retailer I keep comparing every TV with it and find newer technologies lacking. I have a 32 Sony HD TV right now and I am finding a lot of people unloading these beautiful Acondas on craigslist for prices ranging from $200 to $600 - keep in mind that when this came out first it was a $5000 TV!
My main concers is that HD DVD players will stop passing high def over component (the Aconda has only component and RCB high def outputs) and that I will very soon find 38" too small...on the other hand I LOVE the design of the TV and the AWESOME pq with high def material and VERY IMPORTANT with sd material.
Please talk me out of buying this TV. Maybe Toshiba's SED will be raised from the ashes...

kennyt 07-07-2007 10:47 AM

Re: Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

While the Lowe Aconda is an amazing TV, it does only have component ins and will seriously limit it's use in the future when all TV's will be switched to digital feeds (HDMI or whatever comes down the pike) There is talk of converter boxes and even federal money to help you buy one, but take that with a grain of salt.

I personally wouldn't buy a TV without HDMi at this point. If you love it though, what is $200-$600 for a TV for a two years while you watch the formats settle in??

Just my 0.02.

KT

TheMoose 07-07-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jairus (Post 1119)
Guys, please talk me out of buying a CRT TV in this day and age...

If you buy a CRT I will kick your butt!!!

How was that? did it work? LOL!!

But really, CRT's have great blacks & are the refrence standard but like KennyT said you will be restricting yourself with no HDMI inputs.
At that price you wouldn't be hurting yourself too bad by getting it & since it probably weighs 250 lbs you are going to need a stout stand!
But in case you forgot, remember what I said...

If you buy a CRT I will kick your butt!!!;)

deacongreg 07-08-2007 04:16 AM

Jairus, I am not going to do that. Why, I have not seen the Lowe, but the SONY 34KVXBR2620 series of CRT is superb. Reviewed highly by avrev.com home theater mag, and everyone else, these sets(and I`m talking about the 34inch model) have a outstanding picture.
Now, maybe they do not have as many inputs as you like, and you MAY get tired of the size, there is absolutely no question that the picture quality is excellent. And this set does have a HDMI input I believe.
What Sony do you have now?

Then, if you get someone like a Joe Kane to calibrate the TV, its just over. And, the one thing CRT has, is that you can play the set in just about, any room lighting condition. Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCOs, all of them have one or two areas they are still trying to perfect, whether its blacks, greens, burn in, whatever. Thea avrev.com review made me think long and hard about jumping in to this new area of technology.

I always shoot for quality first, convenience, cool looks, be the first on the block to get it, last!! And the pricing for your Lowes is incredible. I may need to look into this myself.

JerryDelColliano 07-08-2007 07:55 AM

My father keeps asking how he can buy a CRT HDTV for his house in Scottsdale.

I think he has gotten too much sun or something.

In their day a CRT system could make a great picture. Today, with a properly calibrated set you can make a better picture and save a LOT of space.

jairus 07-08-2007 01:17 PM

Thanks for all your responses!

deacongreg I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my obsession with CRTs. :-)
If you want to see if there's a Loewe available for sale in your area enter the following line in Google:
Loewe Aconda site:craigslist.org
The syntax searches for the keyword (Loewe Aconda) in all CL pages (450 US Cities).
Just like kennyt said, I think I'm going to jump on the next Loewe that becomes avail in my area and get a couple year's use out of it until the current technologies improve and who knows maybe SED will be resurrected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 1135)
Jairus, I am not going to do that. Why, I have not seen the Lowe, but the SONY 34KVXBR2620 series of CRT is superb. Reviewed highly by avrev.com home theater mag, and everyone else, these sets(and I`m talking about the 34inch model) have a outstanding picture.
Now, maybe they do not have as many inputs as you like, and you MAY get tired of the size, there is absolutely no question that the picture quality is excellent. And this set does have a HDMI input I believe.
What Sony do you have now?

Then, if you get someone like a Joe Kane to calibrate the TV, its just over. And, the one thing CRT has, is that you can play the set in just about, any room lighting condition. Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCOs, all of them have one or two areas they are still trying to perfect, whether its blacks, greens, burn in, whatever. Thea avrev.com review made me think long and hard about jumping in to this new area of technology.

I always shoot for quality first, convenience, cool looks, be the first on the block to get it, last!! And the pricing for your Lowes is incredible. I may need to look into this myself.