Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 09-16-2009   #19

Default Re: Please DON'T talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySound55 View Post
Anybody in the Southern California area looking to buy a 57" Sony KP57WS510 CRT Rear Projection set? Yeah Yeah I know, its old CRT technology and the TV is about 5 1/2 years old, but still makes a studio quality picture...I'm not making this up. I am a professional in the TV/Film industry and I work for one of the studios in Blu-Ray Mastering and QC. I've had it ISF calibrated and updated and it still has a Hi-Def picture that will blow you away. I have used it as my reference set to watch Blu-Ray DVDs at home for several years now and I still get compliments on how great the picture is. It is in OUTSTANDING Condition except for a cosmetic scratch on the front bottom skirt where it got hit with something (I think the vacuum cleaner). I'll even try to buff that out for you.

Thanks!
I currently have one of these and I agree that it has a fantastic picture. I still have not seen an LCD that I thought could compete with it for picture quality.

My son's new Panasonic plasma TV has a better picture but he paid a pretty penny for it.

If I were in the LA area I would gladly give you $400 for it.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009   #20
kal

Default Re: Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
While the Lowe Aconda is an amazing TV, it does only have component ins and will seriously limit it's use in the future when all TV's will be switched to digital feeds (HDMI or whatever comes down the pike) There is talk of converter boxes and even federal money to help you buy one, but take that with a grain of salt.
No salt needed - the good HDMI to component (or RGB) converter boxes like the HDFury2 or the PJI-HD EXT-FULLHD work extremely well (I've used every iteration myself on my circa 2002 $40K CRT projector) but you need to be aware that it's extra money of course to get HDMI into your TV.

The HDfury2 (for example) was designed by someone I know who owns multiple $50K Sony G90 CRT projectors and is extremely fussy about image quality.

Stay away from some of the cheaper converters as they provide a softer image, do not distinguish between Rec709 and Rec601 (HD vs SD), and do not clamp black correctly (which results in floating black pedistals or image brightness that wavers from one scene to the next).

Kal
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aconda, calibrating, craigslist, crt, end, forums, hdmi, high, loewe, love, lowe, online, picture, rotation, television, televisions, tv