Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 07-08-2007   #7

Thumbs up Re: Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

jairus, thanks so much for the craig listing. I know that LCD`s, PLASMAS, ETC. are the rave now. But, when all things are considered, no one can argue the quality of CRT sets. Except for the limited screen size, there are not any compromises. Now if you have a dedicated home theater room, then go for the projector, Stewart Film Screen, the works. But if its for everyday viewing, and the entire family is watching it, and its also your home theater space, this is not a bad way to go. I`m sure the Sony PlayStation 3, or Toshiba HD DVD players will look awesome on these sets as well.

Hey Jerry, your dad is on the case!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #8

Default Re: Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

Hi All,

No body was a bigger fan of CRT than me. However, their age has waned. I have recently divested myself of both my 8-inch Runco CRT front projector in favor of a DLP, and my vaunted Sony XBR960 Super Fine Pitch direct-view tube in favor of a plasma. Most things are equal in these new technologies to the CRT, and they are capable of much brighhter and more dynamic pictures. The side benny of getting rid of the tube was that it gained my wife and I a Ton of real estate.

The bottom line is if you get the right plasma you can do better in terms of picture quality over CRT now. As for the Aconda it has terrible white field uniformity so black and white material doesn't fare well on it at all. Also the lack of digital inputs is a real issue if you have any desire to see either HD DVD or Blue-ray at its best. My 2C!
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #9

Kevin, thanks for your advice. Jerry has mentioned great things about you and what you do. So, though the Sony XBR 34 inch sets were reviewed so highly a year or so ago, you still recommend the new formats? Because, it was a real eye opener for me after reading the reviews in avrev.com and home theater, that these particular 34 inch Sony XBR`s the last 2 yrs. were excellent. And, lacked the issues that the others had. Maybe only one HDMI input, but no bad blacks, poor greens, burn in, motion, lighting, etc.
So I said to myself, why go and dive in now?
Old 06-27-2008   #10

Post Re: Please talk me out of buying a CRT TV...

I LOVE crt hdtv's! Especially for gaming.Let me also tell you that AUDIOQUEST YIQ5 or VOODOO component cable kick the living crap out of ANY hdmi cable ive seen,and ive used them all:audioquest hdmi3.monster m1000.blue jeans.wireworld.ixos.MIT.EVERYTHING.And I can honestly say voodoo and audioquest is way way way way better.Better color,clarity,sharpness,hue,and on down the line.So dont worry about hdmi.Its OVERRATED BIG TIME.Not to mention I get better resolution with my s-video(audioquest s5)on standard def channels than i do via hdmi.MONSTER is coming out with a m2000 series hdmi that can supposedly output 1440p and 1.3 not to mention over 14gbps for you gamers out there with a xbox 360 with hdmi.Im morbidly curious about that.So in conclusion,a GOOD CRT HDTV is almost as good as a plasma ALMOST.AND,it is more energy efficient than a plasma or an lcd.Look it up.So for the price and with the right set of component or dvi and interconnects,if you can get a Loewe 38" for $300 to $600 dont be a FOOL,jump on it you wont be dissapointed!Until organic liquid crystal comes out Pioneer plasma and Sony lcd now with 120hz are the absolute kings.
len5140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #11

Alright len5140. You go for yours!!
Old 11-17-2008   #12

I'm looking for a glass stand for my Loewe Aconda 38". Anyone selling or knowing where to get one? Thanks!
manics1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
aconda, calibrating, craigslist, crt, end, forums, hdmi, high, loewe, love, lowe, online, picture, rotation, television, televisions, tv