Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rear Projection HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv-21/)
-   -   Should I buy a Samsung HL67A750? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv/2102-should-i-buy-samsung-hl67a750.html)

rex 06-24-2008 10:26 PM

Should I buy a Samsung HL67A750?

I have been thinking about picking up an RPTV while I can still get one. Samsung and Mitsubishi seem to be the only two players left in this market. I haven't seen any Sonys or JVCs for quite a while now. From what I have been able to gather Samsung's new LED powered 7 series are currently the best, consuming less power while producing a brighter colors, etc. Plus you don't have to worry about replacing expensive lamps, which is also better for the environment, etc.
Does anyone disagree, or have any other suggestions? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Right now I can get the 67" LED model at Amazon for $2,049.01 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL67A7...4365241&sr=1-2
Funny thing, Amazon says, the TV is sold thru 6ave; but if you go directly to 6ave website, it is 500 bucks more expensive. ???
Anyway, if anyone has other dealer suggestions, that would be great too. I realize that when Mitsubishi comes out with laservue in the fall, they may dump their DLPs; but at this price I see no reason to wait any longer. Thanks again for all comments, suggestions.

kennyt 06-25-2008 02:46 AM

Re: Should I buy a Samsung HL67A750?

That's a good price, I haven't seen that [particular set, but used to own a Samsung DLP, and it was a solid performer.

RPTV's are going away, still not sure why, but I always though they gave the best bang for the buck, and @ basically $2K for a 67" set? It's tough to beat.

rex 06-25-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 16086)
That's a good price, I haven't seen that [particular set, but used to own a Samsung DLP, and it was a solid performer.

RPTV's are going away, still not sure why, but I always though they gave the best bang for the buck, and @ basically $2K for a 67" set? It's tough to beat.

I still have one of the early Samsung DLP models (as well as a couple of smaller flat-panels). We have had to replace the lamp, but she is still performing great. This new one will hold me over for a couple more years until OLED, or LaserVue, or whatever new technology becomes affordable.

Ken, I also don't really understand why RPTVs are quickly going out. I guess flat panels are just sexier; and most prefer front projection for larger screen sizes. Still, $2K, sure beats spending $30K for a comparable flatpanel that may soon be obsolete. For the price difference, I don't mind a few extra inches of thickness!

rex 07-02-2008 07:59 PM

With a little dickering I was able to get a Samsung HL67A750 at my local Best Buy for $1,789. Vanns had a better price than Amazon (which since my last post, actually increased) and they were including free delivery plus a free Harmony remote. The manager at Best Buy (with a little convincing) was willing to match Vanns' price plus deduct the price of the remote (which I didn't want) and the price of delivery. (BB's original price was $2,499.)
In case anyone else is interested in this model, I found out that although it runs at 120Hz, it is not capable of 5:5 pulldown; however CinemaPure (TM) technology interpolates the inserted frames instead of just repeating them for a "smoother" picture. Actually, the main purpose of the 120Hz is to support 3D capability. Each eye sees every other frame at 60Hz. Of course, you have to have a movie that supports this, and wear the special glasses.

jlarge11 07-21-2008 09:20 AM

I've been looking at the same model but i went in to my local HH Gregg and they had a Mitsu 73733 for $1,500 due to it being a floor model. Now I know that the bulb has been burning for a while but I'm sure I could get that price down even further with that arguement. Also Best Buy has the Mitsu 73833 as an outlet item on its website for $2,400 and that comes with the 120 hz. Just wondering if I would be better going with the Samsung with no bulb or the bigger yet more maintenance Mitsu's? How has the Samsung been working for you rex?

rex 07-21-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlarge11 (Post 16676)
I've been looking at the same model but i went in to my local HH Gregg and they had a Mitsu 73733 for $1,500 due to it being a floor model. Now I know that the bulb has been burning for a while but I'm sure I could get that price down even further with that arguement. Also Best Buy has the Mitsu 73833 as an outlet item on its website for $2,400 and that comes with the 120 hz. Just wondering if I would be better going with the Samsung with no bulb or the bigger yet more maintenance Mitsu's? How has the Samsung been working for you rex?

There are pros and cons. If you want 70+" then you will have to get a lamp based set, since 67" is the largest available in LED. If you get a lamp based set, I would recommend one of the new Mitsubishis which use the new darkchip4 for improved black levels. These new models are more expensive (since stores are liquidating stock of the older models you can get a better deal on them). If you can wait a couple more months until LaserVue comes out, I suspect prices will drop further across the board.
Some of the advantages of LED sets are:
The 750 has an LED light source that should last the life of the set. No bulbs to replace. Once properly calibrated no need to recalibrate.
The 750 uses the CinemaPure Color Engine that creates brilliant, realistic images and displays color thatís 40% brighter than traditional HDTVs. (Note that most sources don't take advantage of this extra color space. Some Camcorders do support it.)
Nearly instant startup times, with instant brightness no need for the bulb or ballast to warm up.
No spinning color wheel, so quieter TV (color wheels spin fast and can sometimes have a high pitch whine), and less moving parts.
Much, much less chance of seeing rainbows as the LED's cycle much faster than the color wheel.
"Green" TV. The LED set uses much less power than bulb based sets and has one of the lowest energy consumption of TV's. Note that actual energy usage is less than the max rated watts listed on the TV.
Most owners of the Sammy 750s are very satisfied with them. Some have reported geometry issues which are easily remedied. The vertical optimal viewing angle is a bit more restricted, not much of a problem if you position the set correctly at eye level. The set did not look good in two showrooms where I saw them, due to this. If you are standing up looking down at the TV, it will appear darker, likewise if the TV is located on a very high table or stand and you are seated in a low position. Personally, I think the LED based Sammy 750's are an amazing value for less than $2K. Good luck.