Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rear Projection HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv-21/)
-   -   70" SXRD with a story - Need some help... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv/1798-70-sxrd-story-need-some-help.html)

iggy 04-01-2008 08:46 PM

70" SXRD with a story - Need some help...

ok....

here we go...

i have a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70" SXRD

i was very luckey to find the very last one in the twin cities...

my 62' rca died newyears day - i logged into sony style to check out when the 'new' version of the sony sxrds would be out...

i had been admiring these sets from day one...

i was shocked to see them no longer on the sony site...

i called ultimate electronics close to my home - talked to my sales guy there - said they had been 'discontinued'

WOW - i was shocked - i was waiting for the 'new one' they told me in july a new version would be out and more 'affordable' as there was no way i could pay 6000.00 for a TV...

they told me that they were sold out...

i drove over to the nearby best buy - same story gone - they said - we have one in 'eden prarie' - i speed like a mad man out there - i get there and am told -- gosh we just sold the very last one... sorry

i ask - how much was it - thinking ooh well.. i could never afford this...

3900.00 with the 500.00 stand -- bingo - light bulb goes off

i drive back to ultimate as i know they have the price beater policy - best buy shows more at one other location in town - but i am pretty sure they are gone there as well-

we find the very last one in the ultimate system at another location in town - i call the store manger - tell him of the best buy offer on the 'close out tv' ask him if he will match the price'

he said yes....

the rest it history....

i was very dissapointed with my ability to setup and calibrate the set

upon advise of many in town i ordered the dvd 'digital video essentials' HD basics - had to wait 2 months for the disk

this disk does cover just what it says 'basics' -

it is clear i need much more....

i am seeing alot of grain - especially in directTV - almost as if everything was shot at very hi gain

in blue ray there is a huge improvemet - but i can see i can get much more out of this set...

it was interesting to see - a portion of the picture is beyond the horizontal screen...

after owning for 3 months - the bulb replace indicator is on - this set was the store demo -

i did buy the extended 4 year warrenty....

thoughts on how to get the very best image out of this set?

what should i expect?

in using the blur -red - green - filter - i could not get green to come within bounds... for instance

and there was no detail to help set and advanced controls or white balance other that the suggestion to use 'cool'

many thanks

iggy

kennyt 04-02-2008 04:06 AM

Re: 70" SXRD with a story - Need some help...

Iggy,

That set should have come with a replacement bulb, but buying a demo you might not have gotten that. Moose and I both use that same set, nice unit. Try replacing the bulb and after ~100-200 hours burn in try re-calibrating the set, the bulb might have ben your problem, if not, get an ISF certified guy to do a professional calibration for you, DVE is a good tool to get it close, but nothing beats a good pro calibration.

TheMoose 04-02-2008 08:15 AM

I agree with Kenny, replace the bulb before you do anything, a bulb at the end of it's life will not show you what the set will do.

Does your extended warranty cover the bulbs?

iggy 04-02-2008 03:16 PM

yes... warrenty covers bulb

i will replace the bulb 2nite...

came with replacement :)

iggy 04-05-2008 09:12 PM

ok guys....

been a few days....

replaced bulb

went back thru calibration >

used the dvd hd digital video essentiatials in blu-ray to help guide me thru this

i have gone thru this a few times

i have started to notice a very peculiar 'green haze' espicially in skin tones in top 5 or 6 inches of screen...

if for instance a person is face middle center and scene shifts to top of screen the forhead area starts to turn green the closer the person gets to top of screen...

what is going on here?

this is happining on direcTV signals

i have not tested in blu-ray ---

iwill pop in mr brooks to see if kevin costner turns into a martion....

many thanks

kennyt 04-06-2008 04:19 AM

If it is just with DTV, then it could be your feed or box, try using a different HDMI input to the TV, it is possible that one of the HDMI connectors is bad, you should have two on the back as I recall. If it happens on all inputs and with all sources, then the TV is the problem and I would either take it back or have them fix it.