Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 02-29-2008   #19

Default Re: UPS for DLP TV

I have my Mit WD65831 protected by Richard Gray 1200c, but then I inserted a standard APS battery backup unit (as in for a desktop PC) to power the fan-lamp if and when the power goes out. The bulbs are expensive as hell - $300 - and they burn out without UPS when power outages happen here in South Florida.
Celt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #20

I must admit I hadn't thought about this UPS stuff, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that surely the lamp manufacturers have thought about failure from instant power removal!
Has anyone conducted a poll of failure due to this, or are we touching on the realm of paranoia ?
kiwiaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiaudio View Post
I must admit I hadn't thought about this UPS stuff, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that surely the lamp manufacturers have thought about failure from instant power removal!
Has anyone conducted a poll of failure due to this, or are we touching on the realm of paranoia ?
Not paranoia, not without precedence - room-sized projectors for sales and technical presentations work the same way - a high intensity bulb powers the projector, and you can't just shut them off, the fan stays on longer to cool off the bulb.

The high-end audio place where I bought the TV noted the need for battery backup, and what I consider to be a flaw in design - at the volume they buy, what would it have cost Mitsubishi to insert a component that would power (JUST) the fan long enough after a power-out to keep the bulb from frying? $20? $50?

Also to clarify - my APC unit is NOT the surge protection - the Richard Gray 1200C does that - I ONLY inserted the APC unit for its battery back-up, and do not believe it affects the quality of power to the TV - since the RGPC has already cleaned it up before APC gets its hands on it - power goes from wall==>RGPC==>APC==>TV
Celt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #22

"The high-end audio place where I bought the TV noted the need for battery backup, and what I consider to be a flaw in design - at the volume they buy, what would it have cost Mitsubishi to insert a component that would power (JUST) the fan long enough after a power-out to keep the bulb from frying? $20? $50?"

Thats exactly what I was thinking !
In fact I sent Mitsubishi an email an hour ago requesting a response to this very question.
I'll bet my lunch they'll ignore me, but it is a legit concern evidently !
kiwiaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1200c, backup, battery, computer, dlp, fan, gray, hdtv, mitsubishi, richard, stays, system, tv, tvs, ups