Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rear Projection HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv-21/)
-   -   Anthem D2 or DVDO for 70" SXRD (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv/1594-anthem-d2-dvdo-70-sxrd.html)

BMW 02-19-2008 09:25 AM

Anthem D2 or DVDO for 70" SXRD

After having my R70 SXRD optical block replaced, the picture now looks pretty good. I do have artifact problems on HDTV, depending on the program. Many people have stated that this is a normal problem and that I should buy an external scaler, like DVDO. Down the road I am planning to buy an Anthem AVM50 or probably D2. Is the scaler in the D2 as good as the DVDO. I wouldn't want to spend the money twice.
Also, besides cleaning up the picture, Artifacts, Mosquito noise, what else will the scaler do for the picture?
BMW

JerryDelColliano 02-20-2008 09:38 PM

Re: Anthem D2 or DVDO for 70" SXRD

My DVDO VP50 is INCREDIBLE!!!!

I love the Anthem D2. It has the best HDMI I can think of but its unfair to compare the video processing in the latest DVDO. If you want the best - get an Anthem for audio and a DVDO for video!!!!

kennyt 02-21-2008 05:05 AM

While I must agree with Jerry, the ease and convenience of the D2's video processor is something to consider, especially on a 70" set. you can set the Anthem's scaler for each individual input and even stretch for anamorphic lenses (you won't be doing this on a 16:9 set but...) all from a single product.

Saving rack space and simplifying the systems use may be in your best interest (do you have a wife and kids?) but for all out performance, buy the D1 and the VP-50pro.

BMW 02-21-2008 08:21 AM

Hey Kenny and Jerry, How much difference would there be in the picture between these two units. I do have a wife and kids. Also, I am really interested to know if this will clean up noise in the picture, for example: the close ups in the laker game were stunning but in the wide shot of the court you can see either artifacts of mosquito noise. I'm not sure what to call it. What else will it do for my picture? I appreciate your advice as it is an education in progress.
BMW

Lotus 02-21-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW (Post 11813)
Hey Kenny and Jerry, How much difference would there be in the picture between these two units. I do have a wife and kids. Also, I am really interested to know if this will clean up noise in the picture, for example: the close ups in the laker game were stunning but in the wide shot of the court you can see either artifacts of mosquito noise. I'm not sure what to call it. What else will it do for my picture? I appreciate your advice as it is an education in progress.
BMW

I think the DVDO is the way to go. It's less expensive and the money saved can go into other things. The DVDO will provide amazing PQ. It should help out your Laker games too, but that might be a signal issue.

Currently D2s aren't HDMI 1.3 yet are they?

JerryDelColliano 02-21-2008 08:56 AM

Its hard to quantify how much of an improvement there will be but its there.

The DVDO VP50pro is the best place to switch your HDMI and it solves ALL SORTS of video maladies.

I use it and I recommend it.