Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 04-05-2008   #13

Default Re: Anthem D2 or DVDO for 70" SXRD

I have both the Anthem D2 and the DVDO VP50. I bought the D2 to replace my aging pre-amp and move to a single box setup for simplicity, less wiring, etc. The D2 has been a phenomenal upgrade for me, outside of video processing, and I don't even have the ARC Room Eq yet. The video processing on the VP50 was rock solid, I never had a problem with all sorts of sources. I've had a few minor hick ups w/ the D2 that required a power cycle. The actual video processing display between the two is nearly equivalent, I have yet to notice a real difference. The VP50 tended to pickup the signal when resolutions changed a tad faster, but this isn't really an issue. Actually one issue I did have w/ the DVDO VP50 was on scenes with significant amount of high intensity light (e.g. fully blinding white explosions) it would occasionally lose signal and have to relock onto the signal. Slightly annoying.

Both DVDO and Anthem are great at providing upgrade paths. Anthem tends to release software updates with new features regularly (DVDO was much less frequent). Anthem also has a hardware upgrade path which feels completely reasonable, I didn't upgrade from an AVM-50 or D1 so I can't comment on this.

DVDO's hardware upgrade path is also nice, but often you can do just as well selling the old equipment online. FYI I started w/ original iScan, then iScan Pro, then iScan HD, and finally iScan VP50. Each new product from DVDO was a sizable improvement and I've used a variety of TVs and input devices. Right now the 70" Sony SXRD R70XBR2 is my display, which I love (it needs to be ISF calibrated since the picture doesn't quite seem to be as good as when I go it).

My D2 did have warranty repair and Anthem replaced it, but not without a bunch of hassle with my local dealer and rep. I'm not sure if the missed communications were my dealer or Anthem. Tech support at Anthem has been top notch when I called them.

One feature I really liked with the VP50 was automatic change of input source when detecting a signal (it allowed a priority list) which made programming my automated remote setup trivial. I didn't need to switch inputs, just power on a device and the video/audio would switch. This made it easy for my wife to use since when she did have any troubles she could just check to see if the power was on in the input source and turn off any she didn't want to watch.

For me, the D2 is the winner due to the fact it is fully integrated, very good VP and the audio sound quality and processing is phenomenal. The price is nose bleed for me, so if the D2 hadn't worked out for me I was going to try the VP50 w/ some newer pre-amps, but I'm happy now so not switching from the D2.

If you already have a pre-amp you love you might just get the VP50, it worked like a champ.

I still haven't sold my VP50 yet, but plan to in the next few weeks.
rynoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #14

Note, even if you have/buy an older D2 you can buy the ARC Room Eq upgrade kit. The cost from Anthem is I believe $399 for the complete kit (mic, stand, software, etc).
Old 04-07-2008   #15
BMW

Hey rynoshark, tons of great info! A couple of questions. I still believe that my Sony has a couple of problems, some jittery panning motion and some motion blur. What does your Sony display look like without an external scaler? Does the Anthem correct these problems? What about the Anthem not being HDMI 1.3. Will this be upgradeable?
BMW
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #16

I never used the Sony w/o an external scaler (I bought the VP50 for my previous display), so I can't comment.

Anthem has stated no plans (yet) to upgrade D2 to HDMI 1.3, though I suspect eventually they will. If so, it will have to be a hardware board so either expect to ship back to Anthem or have your local rep replace.

HOWEVER, I agree w/ Anthem so far on whether having HDMI 1.3 is really critical in my pre-amp (read their site for more details).

For instance I still can listen to Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD since the PS3 (my Blu-ray player) does decoding of these formats into PCM lossless which is sent over HDMI 1.1 to my Anthem. The PS3 still doesn't decode DTS HD MA (there are rumors of a Sony patch to add this for months, but it has not yet been released), but I'm fine with that for now. The only other thing that I think I am missing out on is some of the video color correction signals in 1.3 (deep color, etc). In the end, not having HDMI 1.3 didn't stop me from buying the Anthem D2.

Another option is to find someone or dealer locally w/ a recent DVDO model and borrow it one night for a test and see how the video improves. It would probably be extremely hard to find a D2 someone would loan
Old 11-06-2009   #17

Default ANTHEM AVM 30 with DVDO VP50PRO

I have an ANTHEM AVM 30. Rather than buying the AVM 50 I was wondering if I can use the DVDO iSCAN VP50PRO for HDMI video up scaling since the AVM 30 does not have one. I use a Sony KDL-52HBR6.

Thanks.
felitopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #18

good post....
starkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
70, anthem, arc, arc1, audio, d2, dealers, hd, kit, lose, processing, ps3, sxrd, upgrade, video