Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rear Projection HDTV (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv-21/)
-   -   Best 1080p TV on the market up to $2200? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/rear-projection-hdtv/1270-best-1080p-tv-market-up-2200-a.html)

Darren 12-06-2007 09:44 AM

Best 1080p TV on the market up to $2200?

My Loewe is on the way out, sadly, and it's about time to get a new set. Can anyone recommend a 1080p set up to $2200, hopefully around the 60" range, though I'd go for a smaller size if the picture is better...

One where I won't get burn-in from 4x3 material...

Anyone?

Thanks!

shainj 12-06-2007 10:03 AM

Re: Best 1080p TV on the market up to $2200?

Are you wanting a plasma, LCD or rear projection DLP television?

I have a Mitsubishi 65734 and couldn't be more pleased.
You may hear some negative aspects about rear projection DLP like needing to change the lamp after about 5000 hours. But this is also a positive aspect - all televisions will lose some of their bright "crisp" attributes over time. But the DLP can be rejuvinated with a change of the lamp. In the case of the Mitsubishi 65734 - the cost is about $250.
Do your research and look at televisions at different stores as they all have differing signal strengths going to their televisions. Before you buy, insist on watching the same sample of video from a Blue Ray or HD DVD player. That is the best way to see what the tv will display at 1080p.
Look at my tv at mitsubi****v.com to compare specs. But there is no replacement for walking the retail floors and eyeballing the products firsthand.

Darren 12-06-2007 12:14 PM

Thanks Shainj.

The 65 is a little too big for the room, but it looks like they have the same TV in a 57" size, so I may shoot for that. The Mitsubishi 57833 and the Sony 55A3000 also are looking good to me.

I think I've narrowed it down to a rear projection set.

Lotus 12-06-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 7233)
Thanks Shainj.

The 65 is a little too big for the room, but it looks like they have the same TV in a 57" size, so I may shoot for that. The Mitsubishi 57833 and the Sony 55A3000 also are looking good to me.

In your price range I'd suggest the Samsung LED series... which never ever lose brightness and you'll never replace a lamp. Plus your energy bill will go down.

I've heard the sets arent as amazing as they were last year for ISF techs, but I don't know if this pertains to the LED units.

kennyt 12-06-2007 02:21 PM

I use the Sony XBR2 70" and love it. The Mitsu's look pretty good to me as well, but when it came time to lay down the cash, I paid for the Sony.

YMMV.

shainj 12-06-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 7233)
Thanks Shainj.

This is what is so great about this type of information exchange - many opinions based on experience. The Sony you mention is one I also considered. In the end it comes down to the picture that you find has the most WOW appeal and the features that you find important. Don't limit yourself with no room for techno-growth. Even though x.v. Color and Deep Color are not on any commercial sources as of today, it will be coming.
One feature that swayed me toward Mitsubishi is the "six color" color wheel. Besides the standard red, green and blue - they have added cyan, magenta and yellow. You'll find that you will notice a difference in subtle color shade contrasts. Play a disc from the "Planet Earth" Blue Ray or HD DVD series while viewing each set (properly adjusted) and I think you will see a difference. Either way, you can't go wrong with either of the the sets you mentioned or that the other members suggested.