Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 06-01-2007   #1
Administrator

Default Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Read the review at

http://www.avrev.com/equip/sony_kdsr70xbr2_hdtv/

and post your comments and questions here in this thread. Subscribe to a
thread to be informed when other AVRev.com readers post their comments and questions.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #2

Cool Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Nice review.
However there was a mistake.
You said,
"Having no shortage of inputs or outputs, the Sony KDS-R70XBR2 sports two HDMI inputs, which accept and display the full gamut of digital sources, including true 1080p, which is the state of the art in high-definition sources, such as HD DVD or Sony’s preferred Blu-ray formats. "

There is actually 3 HDMI inputs, 2 in the back & 1 in the front under the flip panel along with a Component input.

I bought this set in October of 2006, it replaced a KDS-R50XBR1 that is now at my parents house.
The XBR1 was widely praised as the best HDTV of 2006 winning numerous editors choice & product of the year awards, I can say that no other HDTV I saw matched what the XBR1 could do with a good HD source.
But I wanted a bigger screen.

So the 70" XBR2 had some big shoes to fill!
Lets start by saying big is an understatement!! I intended to buy the 60"XBR2 but the store had the 60" & 70" side by side in the show room & I thought "the 70" isn't that much bigger I'll just get it"
Well when I got it home & put it on the stand where the 50" had been I stood back & said "What a monster!!"
I almost returned it right then for the 60", man am I glad I didn't!!

I removed the speakers right away, that made it approx the same width as the 60" whos speakers can not be removed.
I haven't listened to the speakers in the TV for many years any way & without the speakers it was a much better fit.

Here is a pic of the 50" & 70", look at the shelves in the background to see how much bigger this monster is!

There was something I noticed right away that I didn't like, the 3rd HDMI input on the front is where the memory stick reader was on the 50" & I used that a lot.
Fortunatly my Playstation 3 has a card reader in it so I can still watch pics & vids on the TV.

Speaking of the PS3 it has a big wow factor on this set, games like GTHD & Formula 1 Championship edition are very immersive on a screen this size at 12' & Blu-Ray movies just rock!!
The HD signal from the DirecTV HR20 HD+DVR is very good also, from Planet Earth on Discovery HD to sporting events like The Masters & NHRA drag
racing on ESPN2 HD.

Over all I really like this set, it may have a picture just a tad bit softer than the 50" XBR1 but it is 20" larger.
I am considering an ISF calibration after I get a new reciever & having the video & audio done at the same time, that should bring out all the XBR2 can give.

Last edited by TheMoose; 06-10-2007 at 11:07 PM..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #3

Smile Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Jerry. all I `m really trying to say, is that the high end needs guys like yourself and Andrew in the stores. With the right attitude. I believe TheMoose spoke about a similar experience he had. That must change, and if it does, it could be great for everyone.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #4

Smile Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

TheMoose, I just wanted to say, congratulations on the new SONY. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #5

Thumbs down Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Moose,

I have had the 70" XBR2 since it came out, you, and I, have an amazing TV. Personally I would have gone for a front projector, but I live in Florida and there is simply no realistic way to control ambient light so I went the RPTV route.

If you don't have a Blu-ray or HD DVD player, you flat out need one to truly take advantage of the native 1080p display. BTW your TV does accept 1080p @ 24 FPS..... and mates amazingly well with the Sony BDP-S1 and I have to admit the Toshiba HD-XA2 as well. Once you have seen it display a TRUE 1080p source, all else seems weak by comparison.

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #6

Cool Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

I didn't know it accepted 1080p/24, that is a nice plus!!

I do have a Blu-Ray player (and about 40 movies), the Playstation 3 which is HDMI 1.3 & it will output at 1080p/24, now I just need to find some software that also outputs it!!
I do agree, a good Blu-Ray movie really shows what this set will do & what HD is all about!

I never really considered a projector, although the Sony VPL VW50 1080p projector set up would be about the same price (retail not what I paid) as the 70" XBR2.
Maybe one day when I can build a dedicated Home theatre it will be an option though.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 1080p24, 70, block, edid, firmware, forum, hdtv, inch, kdsr70xbr2, lcos, optical, plasma, sony, sxrd, update, xbr2