Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Rear Projection HDTV

Rear Projection HDTV Post about DLP, D-ILA, LCOS, SXRD and more.

Old 01-25-2008   #19
BMW

Angry Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Hi I am new to this forum. For the last 2 years I have owned and loved a kds60xbrl. When hearing of Sony's withdrawl from the market and the excellent reviews of the kdsr70xbr2, I frantically tried to track one down in LA. I finally found one in San Diego, went the distance and got it. However, all is not well. The box kinda of looked like it had been around the block and had probably had been repacked. My picture suffers from noise, some motion problems and maybe type of focus problems. Qualex a sony rep replaced a circuit board by diagnosing he problem on the phone. Still have problems. Would love to get a new one, but I don't know where to get one. Does anybody know who can properly fix this problem of where to get a new one?
Thanks so much, BMW
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #20

Default Re: Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70-inch SXRD HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Hi I am new to this forum. For the last 2 years I have owned and loved a kds60xbrl. When hearing of Sony's withdrawl from the market and the excellent reviews of the kdsr70xbr2, I frantically tried to track one down in LA. I finally found one in San Diego, went the distance and got it. However, all is not well. The box kinda of looked like it had been around the block and had probably had been repacked. My picture suffers from noise, some motion problems and maybe type of focus problems. Qualex a sony rep replaced a circuit board by diagnosing he problem on the phone. Still have problems. Would love to get a new one, but I don't know where to get one. Does anybody know who can properly fix this problem of where to get a new one?
Thanks so much, BMW
Find a Repair Center that is authorized by Sony nearby. Have them pick up the unit and run tests on it. If they can't repair it they should replace it for you.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #21
BMW

Lotus, Thanks for the advice. The question is, Sony's main repair co. Qualex seems to diagnose over the phone. The second company that I called said to return it to the store. To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe that there are any more of these sets around. But why should something made up of parts be so hard to fix?
BMW
Old 02-09-2008   #22
BMW

Lotus, I have had my KDSR70XBR2 worked on and they replaced the Optical block. The picture is dramatically better. The one thing that still seem to not be quite right is motion. I was reading the A3000 thread. Do you think this is a firmware update?
Thanks BMW
Old 02-09-2008   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Lotus, I have had my KDSR70XBR2 worked on and they replaced the Optical block. The picture is dramatically better. The one thing that still seem to not be quite right is motion. I was reading the A3000 thread. Do you think this is a firmware update?
Thanks BMW
Possibly a setting on the TV? I'd try messing with all the DRC settings, etc.

The R70 has known issues:

480i/480p material will not look good on this set with the HDMI input used. Component will look much better. The Video Processing of Sony TVs is in one word: aweful. The A3000 series actually has better PQ than these XBR units and significantly in the "motion," category.

1080p/24 is converted to 1080p/60 and 3/2 pulldown comes into effect (which again isn't a good thing especially considering the set's video processing).

These sets benefit greatly from outside video processing. "DVDO," products help significantly and the end result is stunning in most cases. I'm a big fan of combining these XBR units to DVDO processors.

Without really knowing what you're seeing that is bothering you it's hard to diagnose. It could just be normal SXRD motion issues (that the A3000 series bypasses with the 120HZ).
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #24

Despite everything, this is a superb set.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 1080p24, 70, block, edid, firmware, forum, hdtv, inch, kdsr70xbr2, lcos, optical, plasma, sony, sxrd, update, xbr2