Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 11-04-2007   #1

Default Anthem AVM30 Upgrade

Hi All,

I haven't checked back in a while but does anyone know if there is an updated formal release regarding what is comprised in the hardware upgrades to the Anthem AVM30 for older units which lacked HDMI. My unit is approximately two years old. Curious regarding its price too.

Thanks
Bermuda Home Theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #2

Default Re: Anthem AVM30 Upgrade

From their website it states that they'

"gives your AVM all the functionality of the AVM 50"

Which I believe has the same video processing as the D2, this is a very good video processor and offers scaling to 1080p/24,50,60 (some others as well, I'm going from memory) and offers vertical shift for use with anamorphic lenses as well as incredibly stable HDMI switching.

To my knowledge, the audio sections remain completely unchanged, it is just a video processor/HDMI switcher upgrade. FWIW I have a lot of experience with this processor, and the fact that it work very well and is so well integrated into the pre/pro makes it a HUGE convenience!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #3

Question Re: Anthem AVM30 Upgrade

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the info.

I am not sure it is worth the upgrade since I only have a 720p/1080i (Panasonic TH58PX60U to be exact) monitor and cannot capitalize on the additional resolution / frame rate features. Also, the HD-A2 sends compressed pcm to the monitor and then to the AVM so I don't think even if there was an audio upgrade I would not benefit with my other hardware.

Since you know a lot about the Anthem product do you know if it make sense to get a Toshiba HD-A30 (I have an A3 at my parents I ordered that I will not collect until XMas) for analog out audio directly wired to the AVM?

Thanks again

Last edited by Bermuda Home Theater; 11-04-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 11-04-2007   #4

I am way late for bed, will give some advice after going back to work tomorrow...
Old 11-05-2007   #5

Thanks, looking forward to your response!!
Old 11-05-2007   #6

BHT,

I checked Toshiba website, both the A3 and A30 only have two channel analog outputs.... You'd have to step up to the A35 for 5.1 analog outs, and yes I do think that would be audibly better if you can't do it via HDMI.

I can't remember if the Anthem HDMI accept multichannel PCM as well as video, if they do, it is another great way to get the audio off the disc, and can be done from any of the players (A3 or A30).
Sponsored Links

Tags
20, 2008, 2009, 30, anthem, avm, avm30, blu, d2, hdmi, ray, switching, upgrade, version, vs