Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 06-01-2007   #19

Smile Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

Okay KennyT, I do understand now. With the power she has in spades with the Carver TM55, and the way his amps work, only using a given amount of power when needed, it should drive the Martin Logans well. And if she likes McIntosh tube amps, I`m not sure, but doesn`t Carver/Sunfire offer amps in his lineup with more tube like character? I thought I read that some place.

I have always felt that considering build quality, power, finesse, and pricing, he is one of the best bargains out there. I just think that some in the high end community look down on Bob Carver for making good gear that does not kill your wallet.

Whadda you think?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #20

Default Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

Just to throw more fuel on the fire, like Andrew said, i'll be doing a review on the Anthem AVM 50. I own the D2 and did own the AVM 30, and i have to say that out of all of the preamps i've reviewed, the Anthem people are the most serious about keeping their gear current with software and hardware upgrades. And the customer Support is very good. I didn't see it mentioned but beside HDMI connections, the Genum video processor that resides in the AVM 50 and D2 are not cheap, add-on gimicks but are the real deal and compete with the other heavy weight single-box processors on the market like Faroudja and Silicon Image. Something to keep in mind.
Tim (aka Audiogeek_00)
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #21

i not quite sure, but i was under the impression that when a D1 is sent to Anthem for the D2 upgrade they also install the Genum processors. unless you know one way or the other, i guess i'll have to check with Anthem.
John Paul Ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #22

Smile Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

After listening to everyone input and giving it some serious thought I think I will go ahead and look into picking up a TGV. Its in my Price range and those of you "in the know" all agree its a good choice.

Next I have to decide which ML to buy...... on to that forum!

Thanks again everyone!

LindaE
http://TabletPc2.com

Last edited by LindaE; 06-04-2007 at 11:14 AM..
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul Ahn View Post
i not quite sure, but i was under the impression that when a D1 is sent to Anthem for the D2 upgrade they also install the Genum processors. unless you know one way or the other, i guess i'll have to check with Anthem.
You are correct. You get the processor, 4 HDMI inputs, and a software upgrade. I like the fact that the older models are upgradeable. I can't name any other manufacturer that does that.
http://modernhometheater.com/
http://www.avrevforum.com/
Audiogeek_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #24

If you have the dough, the Krell Evolution 202 preamp is one to look at.
Sponsored Links

Tags
634, amps, audio, av, av634, carver, manual, needed, preamp, preamps, priced, receivers, setting, sound, sunfire, surround, tgpv, video