Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 05-30-2007   #7

Default Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

what do guys think of the Sunfire V vs. the Anthem D1?
John Paul Ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #8

Both are excellent products. I think the Sunfire is going to pack a bit more punch as far as features go, esspecially with HDMI, over the D1. The Sunfire V is newer obviously. Step up to the D2 however and it's a bit more of a toss up. I consider them roughly equal at that point. Although the D2 does have more HDMI inputs. May I ask why you're interested in a D1 over a D2?

Andrew
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #9

Post Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

The Sunfire is a current product with a MSRP of $3499. The Anthem D2 has an MSRP of $6699 - which puts it out of my price range and the D1 has been discontinued, so that is not one I am considering. Actually my first choice would be Krell but unfortunately that is a dream not an option right now.

LindaE
http://TabletPc2.com

Last edited by LindaE; 05-30-2007 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #10

what i'm thinking of doing is buying a D1 now and upgrading it later to a D2 when i can afford the two grand it costs to do so.
is this a better way to go?
thanks.
John Paul Ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007   #11

Post Re: Recommendations for a Pre-Amp needed

I'd like to hear what Andrew and Jerry think of this idea...Personally I wouldn't buy something that is already obsolete - but that's me.
LindaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007   #12

I am well acquanted with both the Anthem D2 and TGPV, they are both very good pre/pro's. The TGV does offer HDMI switching, which the D1 does not. If you go the D1 route, you will need to budget for an external switcher as Jerry says, not a huge cost but it does add another level of complexity to your theater. I find the D2 (and thereby D1 I assume) to be more user adjustable than the TGV, but on the flip side I have never used a pre/pro as easy to set up and use as the Sunfire.

I have always been a beleiver in system synergy, so LindaE for this reason alone I might sway you more to the TGV as you already seem to be a fan of the Carver (Sunfire) house sound with those amps, and you will get HDMI switching to boot.

Ken
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
634, amps, audio, av, av634, carver, manual, needed, preamp, preamps, priced, receivers, setting, sound, sunfire, surround, tgpv, video