Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Audio-Video Electronics > Preamps (Audio & Video)

Preamps (Audio & Video) From tubes to solid state, discuss all topics related to audio & video preamps here.

Old 10-20-2007   #1

Default New Ayre pre-amp

Supposedly it (KX-R) was at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fair... did anyone happen to go and
give it a listen?

This is the companion pre to the reference mono-block MX-R's. Rumored price is around $18k.

Here's a pic -

Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #2

Default Re: New Ayre pre-amp

No offense to Ayre but they aren't Krell, Levinson, Linn or Meridian in terms of brand awareness.

How can people justify $18,000 on a stereo preamp if its not from one of the big brands but it has a BIGGER price? If you were to sell it the next day - what would you get for it? I am not saying you buy an ultra-high-end piece JUST to turn it around and sell it but knowing you invested right ALWAYS factors in to my decision about what I buy next.
Old 11-03-2007   #3

I am specifically going to try to go hear this setup at CES, if they are there and I see a booth or room.

For $18,000, I bet it sounds pretty damn good.

j
Old 11-03-2007   #4

Well, we do know that their CD players are well respected. Their amplifiers (I`ve hear none of them) are rumored to be very good also. The mono-blocks Silver is talking about. So, I guess from where Ayre stands, they are trying to make a name for themselves.

Like everything else, time will tell.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Well, we do know that their CD players are well respected. Their amplifiers (I`ve hear none of them) are rumored to be very good also. The mono-blocks Silver is talking about. So, I guess from where Ayre stands, they are trying to make a name for themselves.

Like everything else, time will tell.
A friend of mine has a very nice system comprised of a Meridian 861, Rockport speakers, Ayre V1-Xe source, and MX-R amps (which I'm sure Greg is referring to). I have to say that it's very impressive.

He borrowed my ARC LS26 pre and is now looking to add a dedicated pre. The KX-R is one of the pre's he is going to audition - I'll let you know when/if I get to hear it - and I will be surprised if he doesn't end up owning it as he is a fan of the Ayre house sound.

I do agree that Ayre doesn't have the cache of some of the other big names - but in my experience it does have the performance to go head to head with them and is gaining quite a following.

Personally, I'd love to have a pair of MX-R's in my room.
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #6

Tell your buddy to look into the Krell Evolution amps too. Stunning. Best bass I have ever heard.
Sponsored Links

Tags
amplifier, audio, ayre, cd, kxr, linn, mxr, player, power, pre, preamplifier, price, rating, v1xe, vs