Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Preamps (Audio & Video) (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video-8/)
-   -   WHAT ABOUR CARVER? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/preamps-audio-video/91-what-abour-carver.html)

deacongreg 05-29-2007 05:30 PM

WHAT ABOUR CARVER?

In college, "Crazy Eddie" carried deejay equipment. The amps that impressed me the most were the Crowns, Dynaco`s, and Phase Linear. Phase Linear, way ahead of its time with the 3 - dimensional "holographic circuit in the preamp. Now Carver/ really Sunfire, known for making some of the best preamps and amps with controversial, but effective technology that worked. And well. Remember the 205 watt per channel Carver cube amp?
And also making the the AV crowd angry with a reasonable price point.

But why does it seem to me that Sunfire products do not get the same respect? You guys gave great reviews on the Sunfire. It almost seems like his competitors are jealous that Bob can create the best for less!!?
Any opinions about this?

Tony_P 09-19-2007 01:41 PM

Re: WHAT ABOUR CARVER?

Bob Carver ruffled a lot of people's feathers some years ago in the hi-end business. Remember when he had his "transfer function" where he could make any of his power amps sound like anyone else's? The one he choice to get this amps to sound like (null to) would be a Mark Levinson ML25 (or something like that). I was a pure class A power amp that was highly regarded. Pete Aczel of the Audio Critic was in on this too. It was written that Carver was able to get his 1.5t to sound (or null) to the ML amp. Carver said he bought a pair of these amps to take back and have all his "t"amps null to it. I don't know how successful he was, but the 1.5t that I owned sounded better than a lot of other amps I compared it to for a cost that was small. He had his Amazing speakers, Lightstar and Sunfire along with those little speakers that put out bass, the Sunfire TrueSub.
His equipment does get a lot of "respect" in the reviewing magazines. His is an innovator and has produced tremendous products with exceptional value.

Z Man 09-23-2007 12:28 PM

Re: WHAT ABOUR CARVER?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 144)
In college, "Crazy Eddie" carried deejay equipment. The amps that impressed me the most were the Crowns, Dynaco`s, and Phase Linear. Phase Linear, way ahead of its time with the 3 - dimensional "holographic circuit in the preamp. Now Carver/ really Sunfire, known for making some of the best preamps and amps with controversial, but effective technology that worked. And well. Remember the 205 watt per channel Carver cube amp?
And also making the the AV crowd angry with a reasonable price point.

But why does it seem to me that Sunfire products do not get the same respect? You guys gave great reviews on the Sunfire. It almost seems like his competitors are jealous that Bob can create the best for less!!?
Any opinions about this?

In a way I say I have to agree with you. Sunfire products are amazing, and their amplifiers are IMO some of the absolute best anywhere. It's strange but more and more I see the Sunfire name disappearing from high end shops ads. 3-4 years ago the Sunfire name was seen listed at many hi-fi/HT stores. Now as I look through store Ads in mags like Stereophile, The Absolute Sound etc., I no longer see the Sunfire brand mentioned. Pity because it is a high caliber brand.

I own (and love) my Sunfire TGIII pre/pro and Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amp. And I see myself hanging on to my Sunfire amp for a long time to come. The "only" reason I am changing from Sunfire to Denon (AVP-A1HD)for a pre/pro is because Sunfire, like so many other companies, doesn't have what the upcoming Denon will have.

If I knew that Sunfire was coming out with a pre/pro that offered 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs, Wi-Fi streaming, Audyssey Multi EQXT/Pro, HQV Realta Video Processing, HDCD decoding, and was THX Ultra 2 certified, I would most definitely stay with Sunfire.

Seth

JerryDelColliano 09-23-2007 01:28 PM

Sunfire as a part of a consoldated AV industry....

[QUOTE=Z Man;3427]In a way I say I have to agree with you. Sunfire products are amazing, and their amplifiers are IMO some of the absolute best anywhere. It's strange but more and more I see the Sunfire name disappearing from high end shops ads. 3-4 years ago the Sunfire name was seen listed at many hi-fi/HT stores. Now as I look through store Ads in mags like Stereophile, The Absolute Sound etc., I no longer see the Sunfire brand mentioned. Pity because it is a high caliber brand.

I own (and love) my Sunfire TGIII pre/pro and Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amp. And I see myself hanging on to my Sunfire amp for a long time to come. The "only" reason I am changing from Sunfire to Denon (AVP-A1HD)for a pre/pro is because Sunfire, like so many other companies, doesn't have what the upcoming Denon will have.

If I knew that Sunfire was coming out with a pre/pro that offered 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs, Wi-Fi streaming, Audyssey Multi EQXT/Pro, HQV Realta Video Processing, HDCD decoding, and was THX Ultra 2 certified, I would most definitely stay with Sunfire.

------

You see A LOT of Sunfire with AVrev.com. Ads. reviews. News.

The challenge for them is going to be keeping their high end status as a part of a consolodated industry. Certainly, that is my pitch to them towards the end of the year as they hopefully renew with us.

As great as Sunfire gear is (and it is GREAT especially for the money) I think their success is going to be based on marketing to their core fans while at the same time catering to dealers/installers. It is the high end who understands why you buy Sunfire over a receiver.

Z Man 09-23-2007 01:51 PM

Re: Sunfire as a part of a consoldated AV industry....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 3430)
You see A LOT of Sunfire with AVrev.com. Ads. reviews. News.

The challenge for them is going to be keeping their high end status as a part of a consolodated industry. Certainly, that is my pitch to them towards the end of the year as they hopefully renew with us.

As great as Sunfire gear is (and it is GREAT especially for the money) I think their success is going to be based on marketing to their core fans while at the same time catering to dealers/installers. It is the high end who understands why you buy Sunfire over a receiver.

That's great news that you all run Ads, do reviews, and news on Sunfire products.:) Yes, hopefully they will renew with you.

I think you're right, their success is definitely to be based on marketing to their fans and catering to dealers/installers. And I couldn't agree more, it is the high end who understands why one would buy Sunfire separates over an all in one receiver.;)

Seth

JerryDelColliano 10-17-2007 07:50 PM

Sunfire's Distribution

As a consolodated company Sunfire seems to be looking more towards the installer market than retail.

I am not sure why they can't have both but their move is a common one.

Bose has EVERY market channel and their sales don't lie. Sunfire is BELOVED with enthusiasts for all the right reasons: value, performance and heratige.